Chapter 6

"I think it's so exciting, Remy, he's throwing us a ball and even an after party for you." Victoria exclaimed she flipped through the textiles that the dressmaker had brought to the house.
"It all sounds fine. But an after party with just gentleman, sounds sinister to me sister." Rémy said while he stood looking in the mirror as the tailor took his measurements. Sometimes Victoria seemed so naive to him. She should know better...
"Look, this is the one!" She pointed to a ruby red colored fabric with intricate gold designs woven into the stitching. She was so excited about starting this new life. Dressing up and finally feeling beautiful. Finally feeling like herself.
"That's perfect," He said to Victoria. "Pierre." He turned toward the tailor "Make sure the finest array of New Orleans best makeup is brought to our residence with the order."
Victoria regraded towards Remy with a thankful heart. Remy wanted her to look her best in front of the whole town, but truthfully he didn't want them to notice anything off. He was worried about meeting new people and making an impression. He knew most of the people didn't realize he was half black. His name kept him safe and his money even safer, but he couldn't help but feel anxious of the coming event.
"Maybe you will meet a girl, Remy." Victoria looked over at Remy and smiled, while the tailor pulled the tape around her small waist.
"In my dreams, you know I like a girl with a brain and I'm not sure this town has any." Said Remy laughing.
Victoria pursed her lips as the tailor moved up to measure her chest. She held her breath and closed her eyes. Don't notice. Please don't notice. The tailor rolled up the tape and wrote down her numbers on a slip of paper.
"Thank you both I will have your fittings ready for the day of the ball." Without wavering the tailor collected his things and left the LaValle's.
"Victoria, please take a breath." Remy tried to comfort her.
With an exhale she sat on the closest chair. "I'm sorry Remy, I just get nervous. No ones ever that close to me." Victoria played with her nails, chipping at the paint.
Remy closed the gap between them and put his hand on her shoulder,
"You are a beautiful woman."