Chapter 14

After dressing and pulling her dignity back together, Lunette made an appearance at the social held at the community's club that evening. It was a extensive center where parties and events were held, for the wealthy of course.

Lunette walked in, greeting a few staring gentleman along the way. She saw Tremé in the corner by the bar already drunkenly cackling with his men. Surely he had not sobered from the night before. Lunette avoided that confrontation like the plague.

She settled with joining the high born ladies sitting in large ornate chairs, chattering about last nights events. Most greeted her warmly. With pursed lips and raised eyebrows, one of the women, Jacquelyn Narcisse, addressed Lunette, "Good evening Lady Luna."
Jacquelyn, a descendent of a powerful noble family in France, held much esteem in the Quarter. She was fiercely Catholic and had much distaste for Lunette's profession.
"Good evening ladies, Jacquelyn," she eyed her and sat down, "what tea are we drinking this evening?"
"The LaValle's!" Lucille exclaimed. She was one of youngest bachelorettes in the Quarter. Barely of age and showed so, gleaming of innocence. Most of the women wished she would marry already to detour their wondering husbands eyes. "They're so wonderful!"
A few of the ladies smiled and agreed. Jacquelyn snickered in distaste. "They have just arrived. It's far too soon to pass judgement on our new neighbors." she said plainly. "Remington seems like a fine gentleman. I'm not sure of that Victoria. I'm well versed in of all of the French nobility. I never heard of the LaValles having a daughter."
You are passing judgement. Lunette thought to herself. She settled with an eye roll and simply stated, "Sounds like gossip."
Jacquelyn continued on about the evening which was a bore to Lunette. She couldn't stand to hear another assumption by Jacquelyn. Standing up abruptly, Lunette breathed out. "Would anyone like to join me outside for some fresh night air?"
Lucille nearly jumped up from her chair, "I'd love to!"
The two walked through the room to exit onto the club's back terrace.
"Oh Lunette it is a wonderful evening!" Lucille exclaimed, always excited by the littlest treasures in life. Lunette smiled at that.
"It is." She breathed out. Being slightly shorter, Lucille looked up at her puzzled.
"Ms. Lunette are you alright?"
Lunette's lips turned into a straight line. She had everything on her mind all at once. She wanted to let some of it out but what would Lucille know in her young age. By this time she realized she had hesitated.
"Um, yes. Quite alright. Just a lot on the mind."
They wandered to the back of the grand patio where there was a maze of a flower garden. Bright azaleas sprinkled the shrubbery. Lucille frowned but pressed the issue.
"You can talk to me, I may be young but I may have some counsel to offer ." She said.
Lunette picked a flower and inspected it. She turned it over in her hands, so delicate, fragile. She plucked from the branch knowing it's only fate was to die in a few hours. She handed it to Lucille.
"Thank you dear. Hold onto your youth. Life gets complicated. You grow and bloom. Then eventually wither and fall off the branch."
Lucille looked at her puzzled, "You are far from old and withered!"
Chuckling, Lunette continued "The point is that life is fleeting. Enjoy the bloom."
Lucille understood. Still she wondered "Are you enjoying it?"
"Well, I do enjoy most aspects of life but it can be..." She paused, trying to find the right word, "...lonely." Her eyes became misty with the realization. Lunette thought she had everything she needed in life. Money. Power. Esteem. But it struck her, the yearn for love. It never seemed like much of a worry in the past. This was new feeling and quite an uncomfortable one.
"You need someone. There's plenty of eligible bachelors in the Quarter. Oh yes! I know, the new gentleman in town, Monsieur LaValle. He is easy on the eyes." Lucille eyed her and gave an encouraging smile.
"He is a handsome man. Thank you Lucille." She winked at her and forced a smile. Lunette knew she had no hope with any man here. They all knew her profession. She knew she had chosen wealth over love a long time ago.