Chapter 7

It was the day of the big event. Lunette prepared for the ball by having a dress made to fit her delicate curves. It was all white and clung to the best parts of her. She had a different outfit for after. Something all black with not much of any fabric.
She smiled to herself looking in her vanity mirror while she put on makeup. Tonight would yield a huge profit for her and she may even gain a new client.
"Charles LaValle. Probably another lonely little man with harsh fetishes and a crude mouth like the rest of 'em." She slammed the eye color shut.

Lunette Devereux was never first to a gathering a she had Dax bring the carriage to the gates of Tremé mansion an hour late. At that time most of the guests had showed up with their wives and were drinking and socializing. The LaValle's were set to arrive at 8:30 so Lunette would arrive a half hour before.
She stepped out of the coach at the front doors, talking the hand of one of the white gloves servants to be escorted to the main room. Tremé spared no details. He had an announcer like then olden days announce every guests arrival. As Lunette walked in the room she heard the familiar voice bellow,
"Madame Lunette Devereux!"
She was met with hundreds of eyes staring at her and applause. Even some winks from a few greedy men she would see later. Her presence intrigued everyone, even the women. They were stuck between wanting to be her and wanting to be with her. She was met in the middle of the ballroom by Tremé who greeted her and motioned for the band to play.
Lunette loved to dance traditionally. Even though her job was to dance for others pleasure, she never forgot to enjoy the simple moments dancing blissfully in another's arms.
They twirled around the glistening floor. Showing off to each pole of the room. When suddenly Lunette heard the bellowing voice again.
"Monsieur Charles Remy LaValle and Madam Victoria LaValle!"
She peered over Tremé's shoulder to see two tall figures enter the grand room. One a tan-skinned man in a handsomely fitting tailored tuxedo, one a dark woman in the most gorgeous color red she had ever seen. It had a bit of gold that caught in the light of the mansion just right. The woman smile enlightened the room and Lunette was drawn to her face. She examined her for across the room, her aura was radiant, from the looks of it she was the most beautiful colored person Lunette had ever seen. Not that Lunette was particularly racist, she was grown up to believe not to mix colors. She was never completely sure why.
Suddenly Lunette's feet collided together and Tremé grabbed her under her shoulder to keep her from descending to the floor. He looked at her wide-eyed, she had never faltered a step before.
"Monsieur Tremé, I must take a break to be prepared for tonight." Lunettes whispered in his ear. He nodded and went do get another drink after he guided her quietly off the dance floor.