EXO's History (2011-2013)

A/N: naisingit lang din po ang chapter na ito dahil sa hindi pa ako tapos sa ibang chapter. Hehehe.

I saw this on facebook so full credits to the real and rightful owner 👏🏻

--

2011: Formation

In January 2011, producer Lee Soo Man of SM Entertainment announced his plans to debut a new boy band in March or April 2011. Temporarily named M1, the group appeared to have consisted of only seven (7) members when a photo of them in a dance studio was leaked online. In May 2011, Lee spoke about the group in a Hallyu business seminar held in Stanford University. In the presentation, he explained his strategy of seperating the group into two subgroups, M1 and M2, and have them promote the same music in South Korea and China, performing the songs in Korean and Mandarin. Lee planned to launch the group in May 2011, but their debut was delayed and news concerning the group did not surface until October 2011, when Lee briefly discussed about the group's concept plans again in an interview with The Chosun lIbo.

In December 2011, the group finalised their name to EXO. With the names of EXO-K for the South Korean subgroup and EXO-M for the Chinese subgroup. The twelve members were introduced individually through 23 different trailers released from December 2011 to February 2012. Kai, Luhan, Tao, and Chen were the first four members introduced, and they debuted their first televised performance at SBS's annual Gayo Daejun event on December 29, 2011.

2012: Debut and Mama

EXO-M at the KCON 2012 in Irvine, California. EXO-K and EXO-M's prolouge single "What is Love" was released on January 30, 2012 through iTunes and various online retailers from mainland China and South Korea. The single peaked at number 88 on South Korea's Gaon Single Chart. On March 9, the group released their second prolouge single "History" which was written and produced by Thomas Troelsen and Remee. The single peaked at number 68 on the Gaon Single Chart and number six on China's Sina Music Chart.

A concert for the group was held in Seoul's Olympic Stadium on March 31. Approximately 3,000 fans from 8,000 applicants were selected to attend. A second concert was held in the Great Hall of the University of International Business and Economics in Beijing on April 1.

EXO-K and EXO-M released their debut single, "Mama" on April 8 followed by an EP, Mama, on April 9. On April 8, EXO-K made their debut performance on South Korea's Music program "The Music Trend", while EXO-M made their debut in China's 12th Top Chinese Music Awards on the same day. A day after release, "Mama" reached number one on various Chinese online retailers and music charts. EXO-M's album reached number two on China's Sina Album Chart, number five on South Korea's Gaon Album Chart and at number twelve on the Billboard World Album Charts. EXO-K's album peaked at number one on the Gaon Album Chart and at number eight on the Bullboard World's Album Chart. EXO-M's "Mama" music video reached number one on Chinese streaming websites; EXO-K's version reached to number seven on YouTube's global chart. In late April, EXO-M performed as a guest act for Super Junior's Super Show 4 concert tour in Jakarta, Indonesia.

2013: XOXO

In May 2013, S.M. Entertainment revealed teaser photos for EXO's comeback album, the first studio album, XOXO. Unlike the MAMA era, when EXO-K and EXO-M had seperate promotions, XOXO was jointly promoted. The subgroups collaborated for the album's lead single, "Wolf", but the rest of the album was recorded seperately.

XOXO was released in June 2013 to two versions, a Korean "Kiss" edition and a Mandarin "Hug" edition. Within days after its release, the song in XOXO topped almost every real-time chart from online music websites of South Korea and mainland China. The two versions collectively peaked at number one on the Billboard World Album Chart a week after release.

As of late June 2013, the Kiss edition sold 206, 812 copies and the Hug edition sold 172,144 copies, selling over 379, 000 copies in total in South Korea, making XOXO the first album of 2013 to sell past 300, 000 copies in thr Gaon chart. On South Korea's Hanteo Chart, total sales in th  first week reached nearly 120, 000 copies, landing the album on the first spot of the album chart.

Lead single "Wolf" reached to top thirty spots in music download charts in both South Korea and China, but the song peaked to number one on South Korea's music programs, earning the name "triple win".

"Wolf" also won a trophy on MBC Music's Show Champion.

In July 2013, SM Entertainment announced plans to release a repackaged version of XOXO, which contains three additional tracks. The reissue's lead single, "Growl", was unveiled via YouTube on August 1, 2013, in the format of  a music video. The album was re-released on Aygust 5, 2013

******** e n d ********

credits to the rightful owner.

Question for this chapter:
What MV of EXO is your most favorite and least favorite? Why?

My answer:
Least Favorite: Wala naman
Most Favorite: Monster

'Yung sa least kaya wala kasi wala naman talaga. Inisip ko lahat ng MV ng EXO, wala talaga. Monster ang pinaka-favorite ko kasi ang unique. Tapos 'yung lyrics pa, ang meaningful. Esp 'yung concept. ANG HOT PA NILANG LAHAT SA MV