Chapter 5

chapter five - p e r c y

"Where's your friend?" Bracken asked.

"Just give me a second to call him." Annabeth retreated into the bathroom where she could use the sink for a iris-message. Shifting on my feet, I turned to the others.

"I'm afraid I never got your name," Bracken said.

"I'm Percy, and my girlfriend—who just left—her name's Annabeth," I casually left out the fact that we were also demigods.

Right as Annabeth returned, the patrons of this restaurant started bolting to the door. Magical fear pricked at my mind, but I knew it wasn't to the same extent that the mortals were feeling. Bracken glanced around the restaurant with uncertainty, while Seth furrowed his eyebrows.  Kendra's eyes went wide and she jerked towards the door until Seth quickly grabbed her wrist and she settled down.

Annabeth's fingers fidgeted . "Its one of Nico's gifts. He's the friend that's coming to help us."

Shadows morphed from the dark corner to form Nico. As he stepped toward us, the other three took a step back. "Hi, Annabeth."

Bracken and Kendra shared a glance.

"He's magical," Annabeth explained. "So, where was this place you wanted to show us?"

Instead of answering, Seth pointed his dagger at Nico. "Is he coming with us?"

Nico's frown deepened. "Depends how far."

"Connecticut." Kendra piped up.

"Oh yeah, definitely staying with you. I'll pass out. I've made three long trips today." Nico said. "Which reminds me—I need to ask my dad for more strength after I shadow-travel."

Kendra's eyes widened and she seemed to choke on her frappuccino. "Your dad?"

"Yeah," Nico uncertaintly looked at us. "God of—"

A pinch from Annabeth shut him up.

"But you told me they were with us." Nico whispered to her.

She didn't answer but I could guess she was going to tell him they were just part of the group that needs to shadow travel.

"Okay, everyone, join hands," Annabeth said.

We all joined hands except for Bracken which, after brushing hands with Nico, immediately put Seth between them instead.

All my blood rushed to my head. The dizziness and darkness passed and then we were deposited on a lawn with hedges and flowers everywhere. Two satyrs almost ran up to Seth who stopped once he gave them a warning look.

Several fairies flitted around. Kendra and Seth started towards the large house.

"Um—" I started, eager to comment about the creatures, but I was shut up by Annabeth digging her fingernails into my hand. Nico staggered and then passed out into my arms.

Bracken turned to us. "I'm going to talk with the owners of the house. Percy, Annabeth, Nico...stay here."

b r a c k e n

The three outsiders were still hanging out on the lawn, while the rest of us held an impromptu meeting inside. Ruth, Stan, and Warren had just come from surveying the forest, but Dale had stayed outside doing chores.

"Each time I shook hands with or brushed against, I felt something I'm not familiar with. I'm sure they're not human. Especially Nico—I didn't even have to touch him. He radiates death. He also mentioned his father—something about a god. But, they defended us against creatures of darkness and they fight like crazy." I took a seat. "That pretty much sums it all up."

Warren stood up. "Well how about we have them take a lie detector test, by which of course I mean Bracken—"

"Thanks, Warren."

"—and just have them answer our questions. I mean, isn't that the fastest way?"

"But didn't Bracken just do that? By shaking their hands?" Ruth asked.

I shook my head. "They have to consciously allow me inside their mind."

"Well then that's settled, " Warren rubbed his hands together. "Invite our guests in!"

Annabeth and Percy sat stiffly on the couch while Nico was passed out in an armchair with an ice pack.

We explained what we wanted to do.

Percy started to say something, but Annabeth glared at him. They had a silent battle. After a couple of seconds, Percy sighed and looked away.

"I'll go first." Annabeth clasped her hand on mine.

Exploring minds are weird. It's more a feeling than an actual seeing. For example, I was currently feeling a hard wall that wouldn't let me in.

"You have to let me in, " I said. I've never had this much trouble reading someone. She let down the mental block.

"First question: What are you?" Warren asked.

"Human." She said.

I shook my head. There was a twinge of truth to it, but not all the way.

"Human." She repeated.

"I want the whole truth." I said.

"Half-blood." She said.

"What?" Seth was the first to speak.

"Half-blood. Half human, half Greek god."

I sat there in disbelief. "She's telling the truth."

"Funny, Bracken, " Warren narrowed his eyes. "Tell us the truth."

"She is," Percy said, crossing his arms. "Let us go now."

"I don't think so," Stan said.

Percy took out his pen, "Oh really?"

I couldn't have predicted what they were going to do next. Annabeth lashed out and used her dagger to stab me in the thigh. Percy took off the cap of his own and it sprung into a sword. They held a complete monopoly. They were the only ones with weapons.

a n n a b e t h

I knew we couldn't go far without Nico's shadow travel or go very far carrying Nico. We have to come back for me, but right now we needed a distraction. Now that we weren't hiding our demigodness, we could use our full powers.

I looked at Percy and mouthed "Plumbing," while leaping away from Warren's outstretched hands and took off, trusting Percy followed me. As soon as I slammed open the front door, the plumbing exploded, while the exploding water keeping tight bonds around everyone except Seth and Kendra. He was tired and simply couldn't handle two more. But it was a mistake to leave them able-bodied.

We kept running until the edge of the woods when Percy took my hand and together we dashed further into the forest. After a little while, we came across a large tree and started climbing it.

I thanked Chiron once again for forcing me to climb the the lava wall.

Once we were at a suitable place up top, high enough to see the land, but low enough that any onlookers couldn't find us, I surveyed the area.

I gasped and finally took in the view. It was rolling without an end. There was the house they were just in and a Victorian manor in a small patch of empty forest.

Percy put his arms around me. I winced and pulled out my arm with the empousa scratches.

"Are you ok?"

"Is she ok?" A high voice squealed behind me.

Oh no.

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

don't forget to vote <33