Chapter 21

chapter twenty one - k e n d r a

Sehvi provided me with lots of information, including the fact she supposed it was just Chrysie's time to go off the chain. She had been surprised Chrysie had held out this long already. There was no need for Sehvi to explain what she meant, as it had been all too clear when I had tried to protect the eternals. People just aren't meant to last.

There was one thing I had still needed though. Sehvi.

It's obvious we didn't stand a chance without her. When I told her this, she told me to have faith in my friends and if I already believed we would fail, we would. She did provide me with the consolation that she would come with me. She didn't specify if she would fight or help but she said spending so much time cooped up was making her antsy.

And that's how I found myself back on the ground near the bloody rose, dizzy out of my mind. When I opened my eyes, I saw all of them pointing whatever weapons they had behind me with fierce expressions.

I sprung in front of what I assumed was Sehvi, since there was nothing else that could've came back with me.

"Kendra, what are you doing?" Seth screamed at me. "That's a demon!"

I looked back at the disfigured demon cracking up on the floor and I sighed as she reverted to the form I had met her in. "So, everyone, meet Sehvi."

"It's nice to meet y'all," she said, waddling towards the house. "Now, where is the sweet tea?"

a n n a b e t h

I sat on the side of the bed while Percy was sound asleep on the other side. I twiddled with my thumbs as the midnight moon's soft rays shone through the weak curtain. Kendra explained what she had learned while Sehvi sat next to her, nodding and adding additional information.

I've kept the homesickness at bag for the majority of our stay at Fablehaven, but I just miss my family. It's like a quest except I didn't have time to say goodbye, get prepared, or read up on what we're going to face. It's the unknown. Percy and I don't know our threat very well and neither do the people of Fablehaven.

Speaking of, I've got along quite well with most of them. I've had a few rough spots with the suspicious Warren, but I've earned his respect, and what else is there to earn?

The main thing I've noticed was that everyone looks tired. The grandparents are tired, the kids look tired, Percy and I are tired. Tired of fighting. I know there's a place in all of us that believes maybe we should sit this one out and let someone else step up to the batting plate and they could be the ones hurt and we could be like everyone else, watching safely and not having to do the heavy lifting.

I've only got such little resolve left to keep fighting and it seems to slip away every day.

The only thing keeping me grounded and the only thing I truly fight for is Percy, but the catch is that he's also in it, and he's also at risk. If I lose him, I lose everything.

I sat in silence for a little while more, hearing the old wood of the house creak under the footsteps of the little Brownies (we've learned about them, too).

Eventually, I got tired and dove under the covers. I snuggled up to Percy's side and became the big spoon.

"Annabeth?" Percy didn't seem quite awake as he shuffled onto his back.

"Mhmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you too," I snuggled closer. "Good night."

"Good night."

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

Thank you for reading!

don't forget to vote <33