Chapter 6

chapter six - a n n a b e t h

Oh no.

I recognized that voice. It was the characteristically squeaky voice of a tree nymph. I had a guess what she was annoyed about.

"This is my tree! You came here stomping around, " She took a much-needed breath, "and sitting at the top of the tree, you're concerned about her? I'm the one you're crouched on!"

"Sorry," Percy deadpanned. "We didn't know that you would be the nymph we were on. I was hoping for a less petty tree that—"

I elbowed him. He's digging our graves.

"He's right, " I said, smiling, hoping to control the damage done by Percy's outburst. "We were looking for a cloud nymph named Mellie, not you."

The wood nymph instantly brightened. Thank gods. I didn't know if I could deal with her anymore.

"Mellie? Tell her Cynthia asked how baby Chuck was." Cynthia squealed. "I heard he was adorable. I'm dying to visit."

"Why don't you?" Percy interrupted.

"I wish I could, " Cynthia sighed. "I can't leave this preserve and the complications of traveling far from your life source is so dreadful."

There was that word again. Preserve.

"Could you tell us about this preserve?" I asked, hoping to gain information.

"Oh, so you're new?" Cynthia got excited. "Well, just watch out for the ogres, Grundhold, hmmm..."

She stood very still, putting her ear to the branch she was perched on. "Ugh, some satyrs are about to come. I would tell you later, but I have plans." She winked. And with that, she melted into the trunk.

Percy stared at me. "You need ambrosia."

"Percy, I'm fine, " I assured him. "Really I am.

"They are smoking," Percy said. I was so confused who was smoking? The satyrs? That can't be right, they're all about health and life.

"What?"

"Your arm."

I looked down. I sighed. Golden smoke drifted up from the three long scratches made by the empousa.

"She had to have celestial bronze nails, " Percy shook his head. "Do they have a nail salon in Tartarus or something?"

I laughed at his attempt to make me smile. "We'd better get going."

s e t h

I watched as they retreated off the yard. Then I surveyed the damage.

Bracken's blood was leaking out from the gash in his thigh. Everyone was drenched.

"The brownies have their work cut out for them," Grandma Sorenson sighed. "You ok, Bracken dear?"

He grimaced. "Do you have a band-aid?"

Warren let out a hearty laugh. "Band-aids don't fix stab wounds." He paused "Or bullet holes."

"Stop with the references," I groaned.

"Personally, that song is my anthem," Warren defended. As I watched him retreat into the bathroom to get first aid supplies, I heard a faint humming of the Taylor Swift song escape his lips.

I rolled my eyes.
Dale worked to prop Bracken on the couch as he spouted his ideas.

"First things first, we need to form a plan and find—"

"No way, unicorn princess," Warren remarked from the other end of the house. "You got to heal, they can't do anything anyway, they're lost."

This was absurd. "Of course we need to go after them," I defended Bracken's determination. "They attacked first!"

"I agree with Warren," Vanessa, narcoblix with an attitude, said as she stepped out of the basement.

"That's a first," Warren muttered.

"Don't make me change my mind," Vanessa glared. "We can't go out empty-handed."

The debate lasted a little while longer, but soon enough everyone was tired, read: stubborn, and went back to their respective rooms as nightfall kissed the horizon.

But I know what I'm going to do tonight.

After all, I am a shadow charmer.

I control the night.

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

don't forget to vote <33