Chapter 19

chapter nineteen - s e t h

We traded our sides of the story of last night. When Annabeth was animatedly talking, I noticed she was using her injured arm a lot more.

Bracken was fidgeting, constantly checking his watch. Until Kendra put her hand on his shoulder and whispered: "go." Annabeth's dialect slowed down for a second, watching him leave, but picked up its speed again.

"We need more information on the Wardens, " Annabeth concluded. "The only information we have about them came from Chrysie and she doesn't seem the most reliable."

"We could ask the Fairy Queen, " Warren suggested.

"As old as she is, I don't think she's been in power long enough to have known about this, " Grandma Sorenson added. "We'd need to find a predecessor."

"Well, where would we find them?" I asked.

"The million-dollar question. Most are either slumbering or dead, but some should be still kicking, " Grandma Sorenson explained. "I only know of one." She sighed heavily and looked around, establishing eye contact. "It was passed through my family as a trade secret."

"I didn't know about this trade secret, " Grandpa Sorenson scoffed, offended, crossing his arms.

"Well, then it wouldn't be a secret, now would it?" She winked at him. "Anyway, her name was Scarlet Sehvi and she had an affair with one of my ancestors. It order for the girl to keep quiet, Sehvi gave her a favor her family and descendants could cash in once a millennium. The story I was told, was that the descendant would have to slice their hand and squeeze a few drops onto a scarlet flower, and utter the words, 'Sehvi, oh great Sehvi, honor the descendants' promise, and settle the debt.'"

"I think I've heard about Sehvi, " Warren shared. "Wasn't she appointed on accident? Like, she was a thief and was trying to steal precious jewels from the queen's bedroom, but she didn't know the current queen was dying and virtually blind, but then the queen called her over. And right before her last dying moments, the queen bound Sehvi to be the next heir, thinking she bound her eldest daughter."

"That's actually the funniest thing I've heard all day," I laughed.

"It isn't that funny," Warren interjected. "She was an absolute tyrant."

"Unfortunately, the people of the kingdom couldn't overturn her tyranny, since they had to honor the magical covenants and serve Sehvi until her retirement, " Grandma finished.

"Wow. Pretty scandalous, " Percy commented.

"Not a nice thing to be tied to, " Kendra added.

"Yeah, well, she's all we've got," I concluded.

k e n d r a

The next morning, everyone was all gathered around me, as I kneeled before a red rose. They had picked me since I had the magical ties to the Fairy Kingdom we needed. It wasn't ideal since it was raining outside and we were all wearing ponchos, but it wasn't my choice.

"Careful," Grandma warned, handing me a knife. "Just squeeze it onto the flower."

I did and nothing happened. What a waste of time.

"Nothing's happening," I said as I turned around to their faces of horror.

Seth yelped, pointing at my face. "Kendra! You're fading!"

━━━━━━★━━━━━━

Thank you for reading!

don't forget to vote <33