Chapter Fifteen

• Dedicated to Katie Beatrix Holvast

This chapter isn't as short as the others but I apologise since it is shorter than most chapters. The scene was kind of short.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I told Joel on the way home about my lucky run in with Sydney and how my shoes were missing. "Maybe you did leave them at home." He reassured me. I was doubtful though. I ended up telling Jake too and he told me he hadn't seen the shoes and presumed they were in my bag. I walked upstairs to the bright bedroom and searched everywhere for the shoes, they were definitely not here but then where were they? Had I lost them at school?

On the bus, I asked Joel is he saw the shoes in my bag. "No sorry, I didn't but that doesn't mean they weren't in there." He told me. Joel casually yawned and swung his arm so they were draping over mine. "We keeping you up?" I asked and Joel, Darren and his girlfriend, Stacey, laughed. Mason and Brittney were talking to themselves on the edge. Joel rolled his eyes.

I approached my locker with Joel. The hallways weren't busy because it was so early. I stopped at my locker, completely shocked. The word 'LOSER' was scrawled on the metal in a red spray paint. Now I knew that I hadn't misplaced the shoes but who was doing this? Brittney, Mason's girl friend, walked past and laughed with her friends. I shrunk inside. She didn't do this, did she? It sounded like she was laughing at me. "HEY, BRITTNEY!" Joel called over to her. She turned her head to face us. "Did you do this?" She laughed. I felt so embarrassed, I wanted to tell Joel she didn't do it because she seemed so nice. "Nope maybe someone else knows Cassy is a homeless loser." I blushed deeply in shame. Brittney started walking again and I had a good feeling it was her.

Joel stormed up to her. "What did you call my girlfriend?!? And why are you doing this to her?!" He said angrily. She laughed in that bimbo voice of hers. "Didn't she tell you?" Brittney walked off. Joel glared at her. "Joel, we need to talk." I said with a tear rolling down my face.

"What's wrong?" He asked sympathetically.

"She's kind of right, I got kicked out of my mum's house because she found out about the ballet academy." I told him.

"I thought your mum was fine with it." He asked confused. I knew I should have told him from the beginning. Another tear. "I lied, I didn't want to freak you out and..." I didn't want to say this.

"And what? Where are you living now?" I really didn't want to say what I had to.

"And I have been living with Jake and his mum for the past two days. I know I should have told you sooner but I didn't want you to think that there was something romantic between us because there isn't. My house is on the same street as yours and I would have come to your door but I didn't know where you lived and-" He cut me off.

"Forget it." He said.

"What?" I asked with more salty tears streaming down my face and in a trembling voice.

"Forget it Cassy. I though you were completely honest with me and that's how it should be, we should be honest. I'm sorry but if you had of told told me from the beginning when it happened I would have been cool with it but now this makes me have my doubts." He told me and in those moments my heart should have shattered into a thousand pieces, but it didn't. I was upset but not heart broken and with those last words, he turned around and walked away.