Prologue: The Beginning of W

The storyline of the webtoon W  starts with sameer's younger years, when he gains popularity in Korea through his victory in a target-shooting competition during the . His fame gets ruined when his entire family is killed by an unknown murderer and he is falsely accused of the crime. The corrupt prosecutor Han Cheol-ho , another of Kang Chul's archenemies, handles the case and sentences him to death. Nevertheless, he was pronounced innocent of the crime due to lack of evidence. Depressed over losing his family and being treated as an outcast by the society who still thinks of him as the culprit ,attempts to commit suicide over the , but doesn't, instead choosing to move on with his life and swears to find the culprit.

Eight years later, Sameer becomes a multimillionaire by founding the successful e-commerce company, JN Globals. In his continuous efforts to apprehend and take vengeance against the real culprit in his family's death, he spearheads the anti-crime "Project W" and manages a television-broadcasting company dubbed W, after the initials of the interrogatives "who" and "why" (hence, the title of the webtoon). The broadcasting company deals exclusively with crimes engaging the best prosecutors and lawyers who solve unsolved crimes when the police fail to do so, save the innocents and find the real culprit. Sameer and his bodyguard cum friend Pandit apprehend gangsters. His actions win him immense respect in Korea and he is treated as a hero by people who finally believe his innocence. He gains more power than even the police. One night, he receives a suspicious phone call, someone who tells him that he knows the real culprit behind his family's murder and is injured by the same mysterious murderer on the rooftop of his penthouse when he goes to investigate.