Chapter three

Alex POV
Hell!
Oh do I hate the effect she had on me. Even in her work clothes, even when I did everything to intimidate her, she wouldn't back down. You'd think that for someone who deserves to feel guilty, she'd be quivering in her seat just from the looks I gave her. She stubbornly looked me in the eye and I don't know if I found it sexy or infuriating.

Even with the tough exterior she had on, I could still see that my words hurt her. I felt shame for resorting to such pathetic tactics. She hurt me too. Why did she do that? It just didn't seem necessary. It obviously wasn't the money, the witness claimed she just wanted to screw me over.
It's been four years already and I still couldn't understand why she was so angry that she'd try to destroy years of hardwork. We were okay I believed. Never fought, just the occasional banter. I knew that we weren't the ideal couple goal but we held our own right?

As petty as s it sounds, I wanted to get back at her. I needed her to feel the hurt I felt. That was the closure I wanted.
After fumbling in my office chair for long enough, I pressed a button on the intercom to get a call through to my personal assistant. "Cole, get a call through to my lawyer. I want the contract ready by tomorrow and in the meantime prepare to move Ms Smith from her house to mine."
"Right away sir." he answered.
I ran a hand across my face and through my hair. What was I going? I wanted to make her life miserable but I didn't see how this would help. I still don't as a matter of fact.
The child was definitely a variable I didn't consider. She said the child's father wouldn't be trouble, she better hopes she's right I could do worse than blackmail.

I groaned out loud. "Hell!"
I need a visit to Selena's to work out the frustration. Selena was a simple woman. We see to each other's needs and don't expect anything extra. I, an outlet for my frustration and her, enough money for a phantom business idea I have never seen come to life. It was easy and after the whole debacle with Edna, I sought easy when I could. I can't complain.
"What?" I gave her a questioning look. I was putting my clothes back on and she was lying on the bed, the sheets drawn up to her. I looked like a mess and I could use a shower but I couldn't help wanting to get home earlier than usual tonight for some reason I have begun to get bored around her. It been a long time coming. I had to admit, the games with Selena was getting old.
"I need more money." She said matter-of-factly.
"How much?"
"500 grand."
"I will have a million wired." I said leaning on a table. "After today, I wouldn't be coming here again as I will be getting married by the weekend."
"Wait what?" She asked making to leave the bed but thought against it and remained. She reached for a bathrobe instead, tying it around. "Who is she?"
"Edna. You know her. We aren't having a ceremony so I can't invite you."
"Wow." She said, her tone laced with bitterness. "I've been with fit the past four years and you're just going to get rid of me like dirt off your super fancy shoe."

I raised one eyebrow in amusement. Selena didn't come with a truck load of hysteria like other women seem to be born with. Apparently, I was wrong. "You know what is going on between the two of us was just for convenience right?"
"When has that been a problem for me huh? After what that bitch did to you, you still pick her over me. A second time."
"Alright you have to control yourself. I never had the impression that I needed your input on how I run my life."
She looked at me with the same look she gave me when I told her years ago that I was in love and wasn't going to let our arrangement continue.
"She will screw you over again. You know that don't you?"

"That's quite enough Selena." I said sternly.
As much of a sham as the marriage was, I wasn't going to let her question me. No one has that right. I was putting up with this sham of a marriage anyway because I needed my inheritance and unfortunately, I had to be married to claim it. Using Edna was a safer bet. Someone like Selena would be sly and I cannot deal with the mess that would come with a divorce.

"You will come back to me like you did four years ago. You won't be able to help yourself."
I had to laugh at that. I usually found drama annoying but this was just amusing really. "Good bye Selena."
"Whatever!" She slammed the door in my face. Jesus, she was a lot to have to deal with.