Chapter fifteen

EDNA
The meeting was horribly long and I couldn't wait for it to be over, it made me hate Alexander Laurent even more. As if that were possible. The guy seems to come up with ways to make me hate him. It's been a while since I sat down in a meeting like this and I couldn't remember it being so boring. Maybe it was because I spent so long in department stores to actually remember what business meetings feel like. Alex was right about one thing for sure. Working at a department store didn't suit me. I was overqualified for it. But after I lost my job as an accountant in Alex's company, I had to chose between not having any experience on my resumé or getting a bad review from my former employer. The choice was obvious. Besides, Alex made it impossible for me to find work in any company were my work would be appreciated.
"We would meet every month for the next four months before we can decide effectively," the man talking was a Laurent too. He had their distinctive green eyes and their tall and lanky figure. I guess it was an uncle. I still have to do this four more times? Hell no! Alex must be dreaming if he expect me to roll over on my back when he asks me to. He must be really dreaming, the asshole.

The meeting ended and I exchanged pleasantries with the shareholders, expressed fake smiles and thank you's when they congratulated me on my marriage. Like it was something to be happy about. I snuck out of the conference room before anybody noticed me. And I went down to the cafeteria to get a soda. Faces stared at me and I knew what exactly was going through their mind. What is she doing here? Hey, it's that thief accountant from the other time? Does she have another heist planned? Seeing the way Alex embarrassed me that time, their reaction wasn't exactly surprising. It still hurt though. Before it happened, I was loved by everyone. Shocking how  thin the line between love and hate is.

I got into the elevator that led me down to the exit and got a taxi to take me back to Alex's house. I didn't expect  him to drop everything he was doing to take me home. After all, he's a 'busy man'.

Regina had gotten Peter from the daycare and he was taking a nap. It was a good thing because as much as I loved my son, I couldn't deal with anything at the moment. I had some pasta for lunch and went into Alex's room for a nap. It's not like he was going to be back home anytime and who cares if he does, I was tired of his bullshit.

I got up with a feeling that someone was watching me the room was dark and although I slept very well, waking up with that feeling ruined the whole thing. Of course Alexander freaking Laurent was staring at me from the armchair in the far corner of his room. I know right? Creepy much? His tie was lose around his neck but except for that, he was completely dressed. Heaven knows I don't want to talk to him so I got up from the bed and started to walk towards the door, ignoring his presence.
"Stay," he asked, or better still ordered from his chair. The guy's got guts, I'd give him that.
"For what exactly?" I asked not turning back.
"Sleep here tonight-"
"Alex-"
"Please." He sounded sad. Lost even. Lost and Alexander Laurent were hardly seen together in the same sentence.
I cursed myself for letting it get to me but I couldn't reject him seeing as he asked so politely. I huffed and walked into his bathroom, imagining him doing a victory dance behind me.

ALEX.
I was able to sleep peacefully after a long time. Edna was indeed a charm and as crazy as it may sound, now that I've gotten her, I wasn't going to let her go. I watched her mutter something in her sleep. It wasn't supposed to be cute but somehow it was. I heard a childish laugh as Regina gave Peter a bath from the room down the hall. Peter was something Edna and I needed to discuss. I knew I could go behind her back and get the answers I needed but I felt Edna wasn't going to like it very much if I confronted her afterwards. Recently, I found myself not wanting to do anything that may upset her
"What is it?" She asked, her voiced , husky from sleep. I didn't realize that she was awake.! I wanted her to sleep some more.
"Good morning Edna," I said flashing a smile.
"Yeah yeah, what are you thinking?" She said sitting up front the bed. The bun she'd tied her hair in had come lose, leaving a mass of wavy curls all around.
"I wanted to ask about Peter."
"What about him?" She was beginning to sound defensive
"It's nothing. Just that he's four years and we were last together a little months over four years ago,"  the color slowly drained from her face and I watched her wring her fingers. At least I've gotten my answer.