Starting to Heal

Harry slowly blinked his eyes open. This time his brain was much more alert and he had little trouble figuring out where he was. Especially since he was resting against Draco's chest, his head raising in sync with the Veela's breathing. Taking a deep breath, Harry slowly let it out again, a little surprised at how relaxed and content he felt. Considering the meltdown he'd had earlier, this was not the aftermath he'd been expecting.

"How do you feel?"

Harry smiled slightly and stretched, not surprised in the least that the blond knew he was awake. "Good," he said, sitting up and scratching his head. "I'm a bit hungry though. And I really need the bathroom."

Scooting to the edge of the bed, Harry took a good look at the room he was in for the first time, and paused when it registered that this wasn't his bedroom. Unfortunately, nature was calling most insistently, and Harry had no choice but to seek out the bathroom.

Once his bladder had been dealt with, Harry walked over to the sink and washed his hands. Drying them, he looked into the mirror, pleased that for once it was one that didn't talk back at you. Gripping the sink with both hands, holding so tight his knuckles went white, Harry looked himself deep into the eyes.

Merlin, was his life forever going to be one fuck-up after another? All his life he had only one person he could count on. Only one person he knew would always stand by him. That person being himself.

He had done fairly well as long as he was staying with the Dursleys. The rules then had been simple: keep your head down, don't make waves, and never ever talk back. Then he found out he was a wizard, and he had been thrown into an entirely new world with no idea what to expect. No one had shown him the ropes. No one had bothered to tell him what the rules were. They had just thrown him to the wolves and expected him to manage on his own. And he had. He had managed, but at what cost? The school either loved him or hated him. Hell, the entire fucking world was forever judging him, and usually he was coming up short.

Sighing, Harry hung his head, suddenly feeling tired. All his life he had wanted only one thing. For someone to love him. Now his wish had been granted, and what does he do? He almost kills that person. Was this the gods' way of telling him that he was better off alone? That he was the freak the Dursleys had always accused him of being? Should he just walk out now and hope that that would save the people around him?

Harry sighed once more, his shoulders sagging. Deep within his heart, Harry knew that leaving was the right thing to do. But Merlin, he was so tired of being alone! Squeezing his eyes shut, Harry did his best to prevent the tears from falling. Now was not the time for self-pity, but by the gods, why did it always have to be him?

HPDM

Draco watched Harry enter the bathroom with a soft smile. Sighing, he put the book he'd been reading down and got out of bed as well. He and Harry needed to talk, and Draco didn't think the bed was the best place for that. Pacing back and forth, the teen ran a hand through his hair, contemplating whether he should ask his father to join them or not, when suddenly his head shot up. The sudden flood of negative emotions was strong enough to make his knees buckle, and Draco had little doubt as to where they were coming from.

Firming his resolve and straightening his back, Draco marched over to the bathroom and wrenched the door open. This shit ended now!

The sight of his mate hurting caused Draco's anger to evaporate, and in two strides he was next to the brunet. Giving Harry a concerned look, Draco didn't hesitate before wrapping Harry up in his arms. Two startled eyes looked up at him, then Harry crumbled, burying his face in Draco's neck, and he broke down and started to sob. Draco did the only thing he could think of: he tightened his grip and allowed his mate to purge his soul. When Harry's knees buckled, Draco gently guided them down to the floor and he pulled Harry even closer, all the while humming softly in the hopes that it would help soothe his mate and calm him down.