Chapter 2

The dream I had that night was disastrous.

There I was, glued to the floor as I watched my mother and younger brother die. Again, I watched them scream and beg for mercy as the angels tortured them, enjoying every second of it with bitter delight. I couldn't move, I couldn't help. All I could do was watch. Watch the only ones I love die as I sat there helpless and untouchable. It was all my fault. It was all my fault.

In the distance stood a man. His facial expression was gleaming with victory, as though he just walked out of a battle victoriously and unharmed. He stalked towards me and my family, the angels continuing to laugh and sing as my family was ripped away from me.

I didn't cry. I couldn't cry.

The man now stood inches from me, his face looking down at me tentatively. He sneered over at my families corpses and then back at me.

"Come with me," he said, offering me an open palm. I sat on the ground and waited. "Come with me and I can tell you the truth."

"Truth about what?" I asked curiously. I knew I should have stayed silent, but curiosity always got the best of me.

Somehow, he found that amusing, and laughed. "The truth to who you are. Take my hand and I can lead you."

No kindness or reassurance was hidden beneath his words. Only stubbornness and the thirst for power.

For a moment, I refused. Then hesitated.

"What is your name?" I said.

"That can wait," he replied. "Give me your hand."

By then, I could feel the urge to know the truth run through my veins. So, nearly without recognition, I held his hand. He smiled sharply.

"I am Gabriel." He spoke with pure satisfaction. "And you are exactly who I've been looking for."

Suddenly, a shocking wave of pain swept up my arm, over my chest, and down my legs. The sensation was painful and long, but Gabriel didn't notice my winces and moans. I let go of his hand, clawing and rubbing my skin and muscles. The pain was indescribable. The burning and tightening, I nearly screamed.

Then it was gone.

"Join me, Katherine," he exclaimed as his wings spread behind his back, black and beautiful against the pale blue sky. "Katherine, my daughter."

And, with a menacing grin, he flew away. I watched his silhouette glide along the clouds before looking over my arms, searching for any marks from the ache I had just experienced.

There. The scar of angel wings with a cross speared through them tattooed on my lower stomach side. I wrapped my hand over it, tracing my fingers over the detailed lines. It looked like a wounded angel falling. It was beautiful.

Gabriel's words echoed in my mind.

Katherine, my daughter.

Then, I woke up.