Chapter 3

I woke up clumisly, the blankets and pillows suffocating me in complete comfort. Michael sat at the edge of the bed, his eyes locked thoughtfully out the window and over the city of Vega. In his lap was the book he held yesterday, the one he had left on the bed. His expression was emotionless and blank as he stood from his place and walked towards the lookout, the city now alive with lights and commotion. I coughed flatly, trying to catch Michael's attention. He didn't turn around, but continued to gawk respectfully over the city.

"Watching me sleep, huh?" I stated sarcastically. "I always pictured being stalked a little bit more romantic and a little less unentertaining."

He didn't make a comment about my witty remark, but simply turned to me and held the same gaze he always did. Sharp and thoughtful and determined. "My apologies if I awoke you." He said. "I didn't mean to disturb you-"

"No, it's fine. It's probably time I woke up anyways." I scurried shamefully out of bed, realising that my hair was in tangles and my cheeks were stained with dry tears. Michael turned his head slightly, anolysing my facial features. I wiped the creases from my shirt and leggings and stood staring at him awkwardly. The light spraying from the lookout enhanced the curve of his jawline and the colour in his hair. His eyes gleamed with curiosity and kindness. I felt heat spread across my cheeks. If he had noticed, he surely didn't show it.

"The people of the council have declared you may stay at the Senate's home for the next few weeks. But, if you wish, you are welcome to stay here." He explained as he walked over to me, the book still held firmly in his hands. I nodded and replied, "We can be roomates." The corners of his lips lifted into a small grin.

"So, the almighty archangel actually does smile! It's a miracle!"

Michael didn't add to my comment, but simply requested I visit the city properly and welcome myself to my new life. I nodded and turned to leave, but was stopped short by a hand resting on my shoulder.

"Your mother was a good person, as was your brother." He said apologetically. I shook my head and pushed his hand off my shoulder. I turned to stare up at him, my eyes locked to his. I wanted to scream. I wanted to tell him I didn't care and that I'm glad they were gone. But I couldn't. I wanted to so badly, to tell myself that I didn't care. Because if I did, maybe I'll finally stop grieving their cowardice death.

I choked on my words, the tears returning and my hands shaking. Don't show weakness, I told myself.

But the tears fell. "Why did it have to be them?! Why couldn't it have been me! They didn't deserve to die!" I sobbed defeatedly, the truth oozing from every word. Michael proceeded to watch me thoughtfully, pity and sadness glowing in his eyes. He reached to touch me, but I move back cautiously, refusing to be held.

"Don't touch me! I should be dead! I should have died, not them!"

"You couldn't have done anything, Katherine. It wasn't your fault."

"It wasn't my fault, huh?" I retorted as I moved closer to Michael. "I had suggested we go out that night to find supplies. I was the one who lead them into that trap. I was the one who couldn't move as my family was slaughtered. It was my fault, Michael. It was all my fault!" By the end of my argument, I was crying. I buried my face in my hands, attempting to hide the tears. Michael grew silent.

Moments passed. Then, I felt a warm embrace as two arms wrapped around me. I could feel Michaels head lean against mine gently as he stroked my hair and whispered, over and over again, "It wasn't your fault, it wasn't your fault."