Chapter 12

Then, I woke up. 

The sheets were drenched, as was my back and forehead. Around me, the world was illuminated by light. Outside, the city was an uproar of noise and luminous sunshine. The nightmare proceeded to haunt me as I showered and readied myself for the day. 

luceafărul de dimineață. îngerul căzut. salvatorul nostru.

The phrase was etched into my mind. Something about it fascinated me. A frightful, darkened curiosity. I decided to ask Noma, the only angel I knew of within the city walls. I wrote the statement on a piece of paper then headed out to find Noma.  

After several minutes of searching the military compound in Vega, I found her. She was laughing and gossiping with several other soldiers, who each seemed engaged in what she had to say. Her long, straight hair was out over her shoulders and she wore her usual military uniform. I approached them awkwardly. Noma waved. The other soldiers gave me a formal nod, and excused themselves. Noma shot them each a playful smile. 

"Did you have a good sleep, Kat?" Noma asked. I felt a lump form in my throat. My brother.

"It was fine. So, um. About tonight?" 

Noma examined both her left and right, then pulled me into a spare room. In it was an unused mattress and an empty wardrobe. Noma and I managed to fit ourselves inside the cramped room. She looked back out the door, searched for anyone eavesdropping, then slammed it shut. She turned back to me sympathetically. 

"Alex still doesn't think this is a very smart idea, Katherine." Noma stated, attempting to persuade me out of it. I shook my head. "I know Gabriel will never hurt me. And the angels stick to his word. No one will lay a hand on me."

Noma sighed. "This might be what Gabriel wants! He might want you to go visit him and rescue Michael. It's dangerous-"

"I don't care, Noma! I have to go. I have to face Gabriel. I have to be the one to slice his throat open." I placed my hand on my belt, which carried a pistol and a metallic sword. Noma glanced at me pityfully.

"So," I added dryly. "Let's go."

She lead me out to an abandoned military site. Her hand stayed tightly on my shoulder as she approached a rusted shed. She looked at it briefly, then down at me. Her eyes shone with fear. "Are you sure you're ready for this?" She asked me one final time. I didn't hesitate to answer. 

"Take me to him."

As she spread her feathered wings, I decided to ask her the question. "Noma, I need one last favour."

She shrugged sarcastically. "Sure."

I handed her the note I had previously written. "What does this mean?" 

Noma investigated the foreign writing thoughtfully. Then she tensed. I froze. "What does it say?"

"'Morning star. Fallen angel. Our savior.'" She stared at me. "Lucifer."