Chapter 7

Let her see what I see.

I walked clumsily besides Alex, who had ordered immediate back up and security lock down. The hospital was locked from the inside. No one could leave.

We had left the crime scene for investigation by professionals. The note still sat on the ground untouched. I didn't have the courage to pick it up. Neither did Alex.

We scavenged the hospital grounds, searching for any hint as to who had taken Michael. And how.

Alex refused to speak to me, besides an occasional order to search a room. I didn't argue or whine, all I could think of was Michael. And the guilt. The anger. The sadness.

Several guards approached Alex and I as we entered the main reception area. They held large guns and watched over us like a hawk hunting it's prey. Alex recognised a women among the crowd and marched over to her confusingly. I followed. The girl had her hair tied back in a perfect bun, a pistol tightened in her pale fists. The other soldiers frantically discussed the situation. The girl pulled Alex's arm and stormed him into an empty storage room. She held her arm over his throat playfully. She sighed. "Oh Alex, what have you done this time?" 

"Noma, now isn't the time." Alex groaned. Noma ignored his comment and pulled her arm further from his throat. She chuckled. "I'm just playing, Alex! You need to calm-" She stopped mid sentence, noticing my presence. She looked over me curiously. "And, who is this?" 

Alex pushed Noma's arm away from him. "Katherine." He replied bluntly. 

"Well, nice to meet you Katherine." She introduced herself kindly. "Noma." She offered me her hand. 

Let her see what I see.

I heard Gabriel's voice again, this time full of concentration and intensily pleased. A sharp pang erupted against my skull and behind my eyes. I cried out painfully. Noma pulled me against her protectively and commanded help. Alex ran out to the soldiers. I felt myself collapse against her, the uniform digging into my bare cheek. She stroked my hair. "Fight it, Katherine! Fight him!"

"How do you-" I managed to mutter. But she interrupted me by placing her hand on my mouth gracefully, like being touched by an angel. "Are you an-"

"Angel, yes." She said frantically. "Please, Katherine. Don't let Gabriel win."

I struggled to keep my eyes open. All around me was shadows and darkness. The voices around me turned to fragile whispers. Then, my eyes shut.