Chapter 16

I watched, helpless and frozen, whilst Gabriel and his men rushed to carry Michael on to the examination table. His body remained lifeless and supple as he was placed upon the metal surface gently. His eyes were barely capable of remaining open and his mouth was dry and smeared with blood. I couldn't imagine the pain and agony he must be going through, all the guilt and suffering and vulnerability. 

It reminded me of myself. Suddenly, it hit me; the night my family died came rushing back. How I couldn't move, how I watched helplessly, how I should have been the one to die. It's all my fault.

Gabriel laid his hand on his brothers cheek, wiping away the filth that decorated his usually clean-shaven face. Michael didn't acknowledge Gabriel's kind gesture at all, his eyes fluttering open and shut every few seconds. He was struggling to remain awake, the blood lose must be weakening him. Gabriel remained lighthearted, now stroking Michael's tousled hair. "Brother, the day has come. The fallen angel shall rise." Gabriel whispered gently. Michael shot his brother a glare of pure hatred and regret. I clenched my fists. I couldn't stand watching this. Michael, the one who saved my life, being tormented by the father I never wanted. I resisted the urge to attack Gabriel, to lash and claw at him until he was finally dead. I hated him. 

Then, Gabriel strolled to a rusted bench, examining the tools upon it; knives, razors, saws. My stomach turned. The two 8-Balls remained lifeless by the door, allowing no space for me to run. Damn it. 

"Daughter, come to me." Gabriel ordered gently, raising his hand and gesturing for me to walk to him. I shook my head. The emotions surging within me became intoxicating. I couldn't do this. I needed to scream, to allow the anger to be released. So, I screamed, allowing all the guilt and pain and rage to erupt. "How dare you! How dare you torture your own family! I watched mine die! Right in my arms, I watched my mother's life wash away!" Tears had begun to pour down my cheeks, displaying only vulnerability and hatred. Gabriel froze. His eyes grew wider, his lips twitching up, a small and respectful grin. This made me angrier. I threw my arms in the air. "I have done nothing to you! Nothing! Hell, I don't even know for sure if you are my father-"

"Michael killed you, Katherine. He threw you out of heaven." Gabriel laughed as he walked over to me. His eyes were locked to mine. For a split second, I could see it; sorrow. Sorrow hidden within that horrid grin. But, it vanished, now replaced with wit. "I was the one who tried everything in my power to return you home. I was the one who spent so many years trying to find you." Gabriel placed his scarred hand on to my cheek. Chills ran down my spine. I refused to look him in the eye. "Michael doesn't deserve your pity, your respect," He spat his words out venomously. "Or your love." This comment made Michael flinch and I to stare at my father confusingly. Gabriel chuckled. "Enough chatter, we do not have much time left."

I struggled to speak. "Not enough time until what?"

Gabriel reached over to the bench of weapons, retrieving a silver dagger. It's rim was stained with blood. I glared across at Michael, who was watching me with guilt gleaming in his eyes. Gabriel sighed, pleased at the sharpened blade and Michael and I's fear. 

"The rising of the fallen angel." He replied cheerfully, his eyes wide and his arms outstretched. "Shall we begin?"