Innocence Lost

I hear nothing from either Thomas or Lucille for the remainder of the morning, so I sit thumbing through a bible which has perhaps been left by a previous occupant of the room.
I'm not a particularly religious person, not that I'd dare admit that openly. But it is boredom alone that forces me to read whatever is available. If I sit pondering over this situation I find myself in with Sir Thomas, and the tempestuous Lady Lucille, I think I might go mad.

Instead I find myself reading passages about virtue, and what is considered ungodly behaviour.
Oh dear.
It would seem that by exploring my sexuality with a man who isn't my husband, I've now succumbed to the devil, and condemned my soul to hell.
Well, if that is the case then so be it. There's not much I can do about it now.
I smile to myself as I close the book.
I regret nothing.

Just then there's a knock at the door.
It's one of the servants at the Inn, who informs me that I'm to make haste downstairs, as the Sharpe's are preparing for departure.

I thank her, and hurry along the hallway, even passing the servant on the stairs. The thought of being left behind by Thomas is enough to make me run as though my life depends on it, and I wouldn't put it passed Lucille to purposely leave me stranded.

I'm not sure what to expect, but when I reach the lobby nothing prepares me for the sight of Thomas...handsome, genteel Thomas....sporting a visible black eye.

I halt in my tracks and stare openly. He notices me but quickly turns away, pulling his top hat down low over his brow in an attempt to hide his noticeable injury.
Then Lucille appears like a ghostly apparition, and greets me frostily...
"Come along girl, don't dawdle!"  She snaps, as she sweeps out through the door.

I follow obediently behind her and Thomas, out into the courtyard where the carriage is just being loaded with their luggage.
This time when I climb aboard Thomas doesn't offer me his hand, and I know he daren't because of his sister.

The journey is awkward and long, with none of us uttering a word, so I resign myself to staring out of the window, not wanting to look at either of them in case I inadvertently anger her.

We pass by a patchwork of fields, all golden with wheat and lush green grass, lined with hedgerows that separate their borders. Until eventually the light begins to fail, dark clouds roll in and the heavens open.
Once darkness falls, it is impossible to see anything, and despite being non-religious I find myself silently praying that this journey will come to an end.
The strained silence is unbearable, and it's uncomfortable being jolted around on the bumpy road for hours on end.

Perhaps if there is a god, this is his way of punishing me, I wonder.

Finally, after what feels like a lifetime, the coach pulls into the courtyard of the Red Lion Inn, and I realise we're being forced to stop for the night.
It looks like my prayers have been answered.

The rain is still coming down heavily, the horses are exhausted, and the coach driver looks like a drowned rat.

Lady Lucille alights from the carriage and is met by a servant who has thoughtfully provided her with an umbrella, so she makes it inside bone-dry.
Sir Thomas has his hat, but that doesn't prevent him from getting wet, as he stops to talk to Marsden and the other driver about one of the horses.
Two servants rush by with the bags, and I stand hovering at the doorway of the inn like the idiot I am. Reluctant to follow Lady Lucille, but not loitering too close to Thomas.

As a stable-hand leads the horses away, Thomas turns and sees me.
"(Y/N) get inside before you catch your death."  He says, approaching quickly and gently taking hold of my elbow as he steers me through the door. "I don't want you becoming ill with a cold like poor old Marsden."