3: Positive Vocabulary

We have all had our moments when our vocabulary has been tainted with negative and hurtful words. It happens. But if we all practiced saying kind words and speaking mostly of the good, speaking wouldn't be so discouraging to both ourselves and those around us. Some people wake up grumpy - especially if they have to wake up early. Usually, that irritation fades throughout the day, but it does have some affect on how the day will go. Even if something happens during the day that makes you angry, and you continue allowing it to get underneath your skin, you will go onward with a miserable attitude. This can cause you to snap out at others or speak words that are definitely not positive.

When we keep our language clean and positive, we are inviting those around us to be comfortable with us. We are also being a good example to others - especially little children who learn as they grow. Speaking positively makes the day so much nicer for both ourselves and those around us. And our thoughts should be just as positive! What we think and the way we think is usually what is going to come out of our mouths when we talk. It's hard to speak positively when all of your thoughts are flooded with the negative things. This is why we have to think positively as well, and not just speak it.

I know that I probably sound bossy and demanding, but I'm not trying to be. You have agency. You choose your actions. I'm not going to judge. I'm just trying to give some advice if you really want to lighten your life. Speaking is our number one way of communicating to another person. It shouldn't make others angry or hurt them - but, of course, none of us are perfect and it will happen. We've all been hurt in some way by the words of another person.

I've been telling myself to speak more positively a lot recently, and you know what? I've seen a change! Instead of speaking negatively and moving on, when I do speak with negativity, I'm immediately regretting what I have said and remembering that I want to use kind, positive language. Even if you don't think it will work, it will. Making the goal and working hard at it will be like an alarm in your head when what you say doesn't bring joy or peace. You'll remember your goal and possibly regret what you just said - or not. Maybe this is just me.

And regretting when you say something hurtful or wrong isn't a bad thing. Although the general feeling of regret isn't nice to feel, it's almost like our alarm clock. It warns us that we know we said something wrong. So, even though feeling regret is not enjoyable, what it is triggering is. Apologize or make up for the negative/bad words you might say.

Speaking positively has a better affect on the outcome of our lives. People notice the joy and that spark in our voice that draws their interest. So many people nowadays have their vocabulary and ways of communicating laced with the poison of negativity. If we think about it, speaking with positivity can help something have that outcome. When you talk yourself down about that test on Friday, your confidence slowly depletes because you slowly begin to believe those words. If you chose to have confidence and believe yourself, you'd be more willing to give that test your all. Just think about it. I bet 100% that the way we speak to ourselves and others can take a toll on any upcoming event we talk down about. Because you just talked yourself down, you have already accepted defeat in failing that test. A part of you might not even care anymore. And then that's when you fail.

Positive vocabulary is important. Practice using the good words as well as you use bad ones, and decrease the amount of times the negative ones come out of your mouth. I'm absolutely confident that you'll notice a change if you do this!

***

YOUR CHALLENGE: For at least one week, speak as positively as possible. I'm sure you'll notice a change if you do this. And if you want to take it further, do it! Complete that week and set goals for weeks, months, years...keep that positive language going! :)