10

Shiro was just getting ready to leave the ready room when Hunk arrived. He stood in the doorway, one hand on the door frame and only slightly winded after dashing down the long corridors of the ship in his pursuit. "Shiro," Hunk said, punctuated by heaving breaths. "Wait."

"Hunk?" Shiro said, his helmet held in both hands. "What is it?"

"You can't go," Hunk said, firmly, having caught his breath. He straightened in the doorway and looked resolute. Shiro just looked at him silently, waiting for elaboration, and Hunk felt himself get a little angry, as if he didn't know what any objection might be to his retrieving of two wayward paladins. "Shiro, Keith's in heat," he emphasized.

At that, Shiro did look away, for just a moment, then back to Hunk. "I can control myself," Shiro said coolly. "I appreciate your concern, but I can deal with an omega in heat."

"It's not you I'm worried about," Hunk said, and then gestured and stepped into the paladin's ready room. "Well, it is, but not just you."

Shiro grew quiet and looked at Hunk. "Lance has already been in heat once since we've been here," he said. "Nothing happened then."

"Lance is on suppressants."

"I can still smell him, Hunk." Shiro said, and then turned a faint shade of pink and looked away. "Nothing will happen. I can promise you that."

"No you can't," Hunk said. "I've seen alphas go into a rut before, Shiro; no you can't." He inhaled and said, "I'll go."

It felt like a whole lot longer than the few seconds it took for Shiro to consider this and nod once. "All right," he said. "You go." Shiro pulled on his helmet to access the communicator. "Pidge, transmit those coordinates to the yellow lion. Hunk is going planet-side, I'm going to stay in low orbit as backup."

"Roger that," Pidge's voice said.

Hunk nearly jumped when Shiro put his hand on Hunk's shoulder as he passed. "Lance is lucky to have a friend like you looking out for him," Shiro said, and exited the ready room. Hunk let out the breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, and grabbed his own helmet. They couldn't afford to waste any more time.

#

Lance said, with a wrinkled nose; "this is disgusting."

"Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't think to pack fucking wet wipes or something," Keith said, seated gingerly on the ground and pulling on his boots. "I'll sure remember to keep those in my ready kit from now on. Or maybe condoms." He shifted uncomfortably on the ground and ignored the way that Lance turned pink.

"Where the hell are you going to get condoms in space? Are we gonna stop by the space mini-mart on our way to... wherever the hell we're going next?" Lance wriggled in place a little, and said, "I sure hope these suits are self-cleaning."

"Cool it. I brought some with me." Keith started to try to get up and stopped and frowned. Lance took a step forward and extended his hand, intending to help Keith to his feet but Keith just stared at the outstretched hand as if he didn't know what Lance was trying to do, then hauled himself to his feet without assistance.

"You. You brought condoms." Lance couldn't fathom this at all, and put both of his hands on his hips, leaning slightly forward. "Hoping to get some space booty?"

"Will you stop using 'space' as a descriptor?" Keith said, blushing an equivalent shade of pink. "You sound like an idiot."

"Oh my god, it's to bang Shiro, isn't it. You brought condoms so you could ride Shiro like a horse."