95

The launch bay of the Blue Lion was dim, and the overhead lights only came on when Lance stepped through the doors. It was well into the ship's night cycle, he'd had to wait far longer than he wanted because Shiro insisted on crawling into bed next to him and while Lance wasn't exactly opposed to cuddling with Shiro, it made slipping out all the more difficult. He had waited for Shiro to leave, but he didn't; instead he fell into a deep sleep with one arm slung over Lance's side. It made Lance feel terrible for leaving, but it didn't stop him, and to his surprise Shiro didn't even stir when Lance climbed out of bed, and he padded out into the hallway undisturbed.

He hadn't seen Keith since he emerged from the cryopod in the medical bay. When Lance went to the bridge, Keith wasn't there. He wasn't at the training deck either, and when Lance had screwed up the courage to visit Keith's room, that too was empty. The covers on the bed were still a mess, clothing strewn about; and Lance stood just outside the door and sighed deeply. There was no telling where Keith had hidden himself, but he clearly didn't want to face Lance just yet, and in a small, quiet way ... Lance was glad. He had to do this, first.

So, when he stepped through the doors to the Blue Lion's launch bay Lance was fully kitted out in his Paladin armor. The lights flickered on, warm and strong, and Lance smiled at the sight of the Blue Lion, sitting upright and powered down. "Hey, beautiful," he murmured, helmet tucked under his arm.

"Well, that took longer than I thought it would," came from behind him, and Lance wasn't able to stop the small scream from escaping before he whipped around, helmet in one hand and prepared to fling it at his attacker.

It was Keith.

Lance froze in place as Keith pushed off the wall beside the door and straightened, cracking his neck. It took a long moment before Lance lowered his helmet, and he glared at Keith all the while. "You didn't have to scare me like that," he said. "Were you seriously lurking in the dark like some kind of vampire, waiting on the off-chance I'd decide to take a page out of your book and be a fucking idiot?"

"You're here, aren't you?" Keith said, and folded his arms.

Lance scowled at him. "Don't try to stop me," he used the helmet to point at Keith again. "I think that's what Shiro was doing sticking to me like glue since I woke up. It's been like six hours, Hunk should be back by now."

"He's probably lying low," Keith said, and let out a sigh. "Lance, you can't go after him," he said. "I'm sorry."

"No," Lance said sharply. "Don't you 'I'm sorry' me, Keith. I'm going." With a flourish Lance slapped his helmet on his head and turned on his heel, heading with purpose toward the Blue Lion. Keith detached himself from the wall and promptly planted himself in Lance's path, and Lance drew up short, his hands on his hips. "Keith, move."

"No." Keith folded his arms and jutted his chin, determined to stare down Lance.

Lance took one enormous step to the left and continued around Keith. "You're not the boss of me," he said over his shoulder, neglecting to see that while he was arguing, the Blue Lion's particle barrier had raised to the ceiling. Lance walked straight into it, mid-stride, and vibrated in place for a second before he sat down hard, dazed. Keith appeared at his side but he hesitated in touching Lance. Lance stared up at the powered-down Blue Lion through the particle barrier, betrayed. "Blue, what the heck," Lance yelled, and kicked the particle barrier with his boot for good measure. "We gotta get Hunk!"

The Blue Lion did not respond, and Lance folded his arms and scowled. Then he looked over at Keith, who held out his hand to Lance, and begrudgingly took it allowing Keith to help him lever to his feet. "I can't believe it," Lance muttered. "Betrayed by my own Lion."