Chapter Nine: Eggplants & Playlists

Note: Contains mature sexual reference.

Chapter Nine|

        Est-ce que vous dansez ?

        Non.

        Est-ce que tu veux voir un film ?

        Oui.

        Est-ce qu'il est arrivé ?

        Qui?

        Trying to breeze through the French questionnaire Mr. Depardieu usually gave to the class every week, I lost my focus when Brandon started tapping his pen to the beat of The Neighborhood's Sweater Weather. I hissed at him to shut up, only to be reprimanded by Mr. Depardieu. Brandon grinned, which made me flip him off when the teacher looked away.

        Brenda next to me was annoyed with Regina cracking her gum constantly. Her face said it all as she she bit her lip each time Regina blew a bubble and popped it with her tongue, which I agree was really cringe-worthy.

        Brenda suddenly snapped at her, disturbing the silence in the classroom and angering Mr. Depardieu. "Would you quit snapping your gum like that?" She shouted as she quickly turned around to face Regina.

        She mockingly chewed and popped her gum loudly as she moved closer to Brenda's face, emitting a peppermint aroma from where I was. I hated the smell of peppermint gum.

        "Regina, spit your gum out," Mr. Depardieu picked up a trash bin and walked over to Regina's desk, "Maintenant."

        "No." She grunted as she looked down at her paper.

        "Et je perds patience," He raised his tone, "Cracher la gomme, maintenant!"

        Students, including myself, couldn't help but chuckle. Regina glared straight at me out of all people, and I shifted my grin into a frown in pity.

        "No."

        "Spit it out or you get the gum fine."

        "Fine, here," Regina took out her gum with her hand and stick it on his hand, "Enjoy."

        "Vous êtes dégoûtant," Brenda shook her head, "Mr. Depardieu, do you see how nasty this girl is? Une telle honte."

        "Shut the fuck up!" Regina snapped, "Stop pretending that you know french when you're a practical idiot who can't even pronounce the words correctly."

        "Brenda is passing this class with a high A. She is the highest of the class." Mr. Depardieu said, "You are failing."

        The class burst into laughter, which embarrassment passed over Regina's rosy cheeks. I kind of felt bad of her, considering the fact that Mr. Depardieu wasn't the only teacher that liked to pick on her. Even the school's principal couldn't stand the sight of her. "I know I'm failing! Do you really need to say that in front of the motherfucking class?"

        "Don't you use that language here, miss," He waved his finger at her, pronouncing miss to present himself more intimidating than he already was. "Not acceptable at all."

        "Then don't embarrass me in front of the whole class, then."

        "Hey! De-pardieu," Isaac mispronounced, waving impatiently to get his attention from the argument, "Would you collect my paper, please?"