Chapter 8

"Travis?" Hazels voice barely came out as a whisper. Tears were welling up but she pushed them back.

"Um- Hazel. Do you know this little-" Max was interrupted.

"Max! Don't call him that. Um- we'll this is Travis." Hazel said not looking at either of them.

"Travis. Your brother?" He asked.

"Yes." Hazel said very softly, her voice cracking.

"What were you thinking? I thought you were my friend." Hazel said to Travis.

"I am."

"You tried to kill me, brothers don't do that." Hazel snapped.

Travis opened his mouth then closed it.

"Look Hazel, I'm really sorry." He said.

"How do I know that we can trust you?" Hazel asked.

"Um-well, I'm your brother, you can trust me," Hazel raised an eyebrow. " and, I was forced to join the army! Please forgive me." Hazel thought for a moment. She was about to answer but the two unicorns came galloping out of the forest neighing, letting them know that there was danger.

"Oh my gods. Is that- is that a-" Travis was freaking out.

"A unicorn." Hazel finished for him.

"Come on," Max spoke up. "We'd better get going before whatever the thing is comes-"

A massive roar came from the forest.

"What was that?" Hazel asked nervously.

"I think it's a- well hopefully it's not." Max was talking to himself.

"A what?"

A massive beast came out of the forest, ten meters tall, covered in metallic red scales. Hazel had heard stories about them and never dreamed of meeting one.

"A dragon."