Chapter 12

They left the barn and walked through a large field, wet from the frost that had melted.

"Do you think we can trust him?" Max whispered in her ear.

"I think so.... He seems trustable."

About a few hundred meters from the barn a small double story house came into view. It had a wrap around porch that was covered in muddy boots.

"Welcome to my home," The man said happily. "Oh and by the way me names Jeffery."

"It's nice to meet you jeffery," Max said a sarcastic smirk spreading across his face. "Can I call you Jeff instead? You know- it sounds better."

Hazel shot a glare at him.

"Um- sure, I guess." Jeff seemed uncomfortable.

Jeff lead them through the small front door, he, Max and Travis had to duck but Hazel, being short, didn't.

Inside was full of rackety tables and chairs and hundreds of jars filled with jam.

"We make jam for a living." Jeffery said answering the unasked question.

"Would you like something to eat? Clancy, me daughter will wake up soon, it's only bout six." The three of them nodded there heads. "I'll get yer some bread and jam. Sorry it isn't much, we're running low at the moment."

They sat at the table in silence while Jeff got the food.

"Um- where will I go?" Travis said awkwardly. "I mean since I'm not a magic user."

"Figure it out yourself." Max said venomously.

Travis gulped. Even though Travis was older, Max scared him.

Jess broke the awkwardness. "Here we are." He said cheerfully. He seemed a lot happier now that he knew they meant no harm.

After a snack of delicious home made bread and jam,the door of the kitchen opened and in stepped a girl that was about hazels age, maybe a bit older. She was extremely pretty with white-blond hair, the same green eyes as Max and Hazel, she had long legs and was basically everything Hazel wasn't.

The way Max looked at her made Hazel angry and her heart ache, for a reason Hazel didn't know. Was she jealous?

Authors note: who ships Mazel? I do, I do! But will things work out for them? Who knows? I do!!!!

Comment if you ship them.