Chapter 14

The four of them sat around a camp fire discussing what they should do with Travis, since he wasn't a magic user.

"Just go back home, take care of mum." Hazel said softly.

Travis nodded. Hazel sat next to him and Max and Clancy sat on another log together, laughing and talking. For some reason Hazel felt anger bubble up inside her.

"Don't worry," Travis said. "There's plenty of others out there. You'll find your prince one day."

Hazel sighed. "I don't even know why I care, though."

"Because you fancy hi-" Travis was silenced with a glare from Hazel clearly telling him to drop it.

"We should get to sleep, so we can wake up early tomorrow." Hazel said to the group.

"Yeah we'll get there tomorrow if we leave early." Max said.

"Good night Max." Clancy said.

"Good night." Then he leaned in and kissed her on the cheek, causing her to giggle.

Hazel felt tears spring into her eyes.

"I'm going to sleep." She said bitterly. Hazel went and lied on a makeshift bed of blankets and stared up at the sky, the stars twinkling. Shadow came and stood next to her as if being her guard dog.

She lied there for hours before she finally fell into a dreamless sleep.

***

"Wake up!" Hazel slowly opened her eyes and gazed at the rising sun, turning the sky pink in colour.

Once they packed up the camp, they left in a hurry to arrive before night falls. "Goodbye brother." Hazel yelled out to him. He was going to stay behind. Who knew what he would do?

Hazel rode on shadow while Max and Clancy rode on Thorin. After an hour of riding the super fast unicorns they had come across an archway made of glistening white marble. Engraved on it was gli utenti di magia.

"The magic users." Max said. "It's what that means." He pointed to the archway.

The archway was at the edge of a large pine forest. Hazel stepped through the arch and began walking down the pathway.

"Are you coming?"