Chapter Fifteen

Several hushed voices were arguing around me, but I wasn't ready to open my eyes to find out who they were. I was lying on my side, my back was throbbing in agony and my head was pounding, but I was warm. I had not slept indoors in almost a week and was relishing the feeling of being cosy and dry. A blanket was pulled up tightly to my chin and it reminded me of the time Rebecca had tucked me into my cot one night when I was ill with a fever. My heart swelled as I thought of her, sobbing under the tree in the moonlight. The crow was squawking - my head was pounding.

My name was mentioned by one of the disembodied voices, a voice that I couldn't place, but the sound brought my consciousness to attention, forbidding me from returning to sleep.

Without warning, someone shuffled on the mat next to me. I rolled onto my back to confront them, but was met with the sight of Sebastien, lying at my side.

'Fool,' he stated callously.

We were almost nose to nose. I could make out the angry welt below his eye, a bruise on his neck and his arm in a white sling. I impulsively reached out to stroke his cheek, but he dispassionately rolled away from me, and rose from the mat.

'She's awake,' he informed the room as I watched him leave the hovel.

I dropped my hand to my chest. Tears welled in my eyes, not just from the physical pain, but from the resentment that I had seen in his eyes. I tried to sit up, wanting to follow him, but the pain in my back smarted and I moaned in agony. I could make out the large frame of Dalton as he rushed to support me, sitting me delicately upright against the nearby wall. The branches dug into my skin abrasively.

As my eyes focussed I noticed a tall figure stood by the fire, glowing and white, with arms firmly crossed against her chest. It was Sona. 'I am glad that you have recovered, Valla,' she spoke indifferently despite the supposed sentiment in her words. She looked at Dalton, 'Giant, I will meet with you later. We have much to discuss in light of recent events.' Sona moved fluidly to the door of the hovel and left silently, as though her feet barely grazed the ground.

Dalton wrapped a strong arm around me and placed my tender head upon his chest. I allowed him to, hot tears now falling freely in his company. He smelled of smoke and grass.

'You alright, lass?' he asked softly, his large hand clumsily attempting to stroke my hair. It hurt my sore head, but I didn't have the heart to tell him. Instead I selfishly revelled in his care. Even though I didn't deserve it.

'Why does he despise me, Dalton?' I whimpered quietly, staring into the mesmerising flames of the fire pit.

Dalton's chest jolted me as he chuckled quietly. 'You can't keep saving his life and expect him to be grateful,' he reasoned.

I looked up at his wrinkled face in dismay. His large nose almost obstructed his eyes from the angle in which I regarded him. I was growing very fond of him. Would he soon hate me as much as Sebastien?