Chapter Fifty-five

We followed the growls and roaring to a scene of carnage.

King Edrik wheezed upon his horse, his face red with the effort of staying atop it. Many of the Vakaarian soldiers, resplendent in their golden armour, had ceased fighting, and were now stood in crowds, watching their king's every move. The beast snorted hot air, not far from Edrik.

'It's not him, Bastien. My son died long ago.'

'Father, please don't do this.'

I searched for him, standing on my tiptoes to see over the helmets. His voice grew louder as he addressed the cavalry. 'You will not hurt this beast!'

'Still so brave...' that lilting, husky voice called to him.

The skin on the back of my neck prickled. She was loud enough to reach every set of ears on the battlefield. I turned to Varellna whose face was deathly white. She nodded: every moment had indeed been orchestrated.

'Show yourself, Mauden!' Edrik bellowed, his eyes not leaving the beast.

A large object flew from somewhere in the crowd and landed in Edrik's lap. He turned it over. I knew that it was the bloodied head.

'Balfour...'

'It seems that this battle was for nothing. I have finished the task for you.'

A gleam of white shone from the beast's dark fur and the sorceress revealed herself.

'You witch! You have no place here!' Edrik bared his teeth before descending into a violent coughing fit.

'Dear Edrik, you seem to be rather ill. Let me put this simply for you and then you can hurry to your sick bed. Give me the kingdom of Vakaaria and I will allow you to escape the fate of poor King Balfour.'

'Never,' he rasped.

'Father,' Sebastien dismounted from his horse and rushed to his father's side.

'At least this way, darling, the throne will remain in the family.' She gestured to the grumbling creature behind her who hissed at the cavalry before him. The horses whinnied in fright. 'Last chance, Edrik,' Mauden added, her dark eyes narrowing angrily.

'I would never agree to such a thing.'

Mauden flashed a meaningful glance at the beast and within seconds his tail lashed across the space between the feuding ex-lovers and coiled itself around Edrik's large waist. Before Sebastien could react, the beast lifted the king into the air above us.

'No!' Sebastien yelled. I watched him run at the creature. Several members of the cavalry followed protectively, but Sebastien waved them away. 'You cannot do this, Arwel. I know that it's you in there. I know that Valla would never lie to me.'

At the sound of my name the beast snarled and let out a heartbroken roar. I waded through the men, no longer caring if they saw me, or if Varellna pulled me back. I had made a promise. I would free him.