Chp 4.2: Night Terror

And at the end of the day, when you shut your eyes, I'll always be here my dearest..

The light fades out and I find myself standing at the top of the stairs, gazing down a hallway with two doors to the left, one to the right and one straight ahead. It is eerily quiet up here, the only sound being the floorboards beneath me creaking as I take each step towards the door at the far end.

     Walking past the first door on the left, I turn inside of it to see a desk and a chair, on top of the desk there is a small lamp along with some paper and a pen. Hanging on the walls in the room are poems that have been framed and placed on the wall, probably something the owner is very proud of.

     I leave that room and go across the hall into the door adjacent from me where I see a liquor cabinet with the doors to it opened completely. Inside, there are numerous empty whiskey bottles and few with just about a sip left in them. It smells terrible in here like aged alcohol has seeped into the carpet.. There are also a few broken bottles on the ground, shattered to pieces by an unknown force.

     Leaving that room I make my way to the final door on the left and enter it, it looks like a teenagers bedroom. Posters hang on the wall depicting rock bands, clothes litter the floor, and there is small photo laying on the bed. I walk up to it and examine it; in the photo i see me and my father, along with a woman who's face is distorted. As I'm looking at the photo, I hear a loud crashing sound coming from behind.

     I rush back into the hall and see a ghostly woman with a blank face and wearing a white dress coming up the stairs in a furious manner. She's screaming at somebody downstairs.

     "You fucking animal! I hate you! I regret the day we ever met, I wish we never got together you pathetic excuse for a man." Says the woman and she turns the corner from the stairs and starts to walk towards me, but it's as if I'm not even here. She walks up to me and phases through me, then stops at the door to the room I was just in.

     "Sam! Sam! Come out! Please! I just need to talk." Says the woman. She appears to be weeping now.

     "Go away mom, I've got my own life to worry about!" Replies a voice coming from the room, it's my voice.

     The woman looks down at the ground and then continues her walk down the hall and to the door at the end of it. She grabs the knob and swings the door open then enters it, leaving it open for someone to follow.

     I cautiously take a few steps towards the open door, not breaking my line of sight with it. As I get closer to the door, I notice that the shadows inside are moving, the darkness is moving. It's almost like the circle of light I saw previously, but this time the circle is a shade. But I can't fight the urge to follow her, so I step into the circle, following in her footsteps as I always have.