A Gift From the Ocean

Before The Hallway was a thing, I had another idea for a Halloween/fantasy-themed story. This stems from a piece of that idea. I can't get this concept out of my head because I love it so much.

---

The cold Pacific Ocean lapped against my feet as I stood on a Hawaii beach. My week-long vacation had turned out fun so far, but I was still kind of sad I was going to leave in two days. Oh well, this was still incredible. I was one for coastal scenery, and the Big Island hosted some of the most incredible views I had ever seen. I really wanted to visit the other islands, especially the more secluded ones, but my time and money were limited, and I had to be grateful for what I could do. Waves coiling around my ankles, I decided to walk deeper into the water, facing chills that overtook my whole body. Goosebumps raised as I gradually reached the area where my feet didn't touch anymore. Peacefully treading water, I decided to get my head submerged so I wouldn't be too cold. Adjusting my goggles over my eyes, I took a few deep breaths, then ducked under the surface.

The water was so vividly blue, even more so from underneath. Locks of my own long brown hair flowed past my face as I turned to the shore, and back out to sea. I could see a small school of fish in the distance, scales glimmering in formation. My chest began to ache, so I resurfaced and took a big gulp of air. I never was that good at holding my breath underwater. I placed my goggles back on the top of my head, looking over the waves that rolled in. In the distance, out into the deeper ocean, I saw a dark lump. Curious, I squinted my eyes in the sunlight, only to see the lump turn and show its face. Part of me was sure they didn't let people swim out that far, and the person seemed to have half their head showing, dark eyes peering from under a long fringe of hair. I began to worry for them, and then they disappeared with a splash. The waves felt colder and harsher as I treaded water, the anxiety in my mind contrasting myself gently bobbing in the ocean. I looked to shore and back, sniffling a salty nose-full of air. Current curled around my legs, as if someone were caressing them. I shook them to get the feeling away, then let them up to float on my back. I closed my eyes, hoping I'd get carried to shore.

Water splashed violently at my sides, making me open my eyes before two appendages latched around my midsection and plunged me under with a shriek. Frantically waving my arms, my eyes stung from the salt and my cheeks hurt from desperately held in air. In my blurred vision, I saw a human shaped figure swim around and face me, feeling a smooth, thin membrane brush against my thigh. The person grabbed my by the armpits and forced me upwards, my choking breaths and tearful eyes barely noticing that they had surfaced too.

"Oh, thanks and no thanks!" I said with a horrible cough, swimming back to where I could feel the sand beneath my feet. Wiping my eyes with an angry groan, I opened them again to clear vision, to see the top of a head with brown hair like mine, brown eyes looking up at me with some sort of remorse. They glanced downward, then up again with a hopeful air.

"I hope you know that hurt," I scolded them, putting my hands on my hips much slower than I anticipated due to the fact I was still partway underwater. The person let the other half of their head up, wet hair drooping onto their bearded face. So it's a he, I thought.

"Sorry," the mystery man uttered in a thick accent. It sounded very Caribbean for someone in Hawaii, yet somewhat European. Glancing sideways, he brought a hand out of the water to twist his nearly shoulder-length hair. I couldn't help but see the green tint on his hand, as well as some webbing and brown claw-like fingernails. Paying attention to his face again, I saw that his face was edged with a green color, as well as the sockets of his eyes. It wasn't a sickly green, though. It seemed almost natural.

"Just don't do it again," I said calmly, the man putting his hand back under the water.

"Yis," he said, nodding, "Ken-- ken I come wid you?"