Deep

A horror story I wrote in 7th grade, so it's pretty bad. It's cool to look back sometimes, though, and see how far you've come in skill.
---

You're in the darkest part of the ocean.

The briny deep is colder than you imagined. So cold that it seems to seep into your consciousness. Your brain is swimming in a miasma of cold. Your vision is spinning and churning and you feel like throwing up.

You turn on your headlamp, a puny source of light in the vast expanse of water. In the distance, blue and green lights flash and wink at you. You almost smile at the glowing globules, but an unnatural wave of fear crawls and tingles up your back and into your mind.

Turning around, a massive mouth is opened before you. You yelp in fear and quickly swim away. The mouth instead consumed a small fish and eerily slithered away.

You wonder why you went on this deep-sea mission.

While thinking, your already aching head is blighted hard by what felt like a fish. You feel nauseous again, and then realize everything is dark.

The fish broke the light.

You look around, trying to be brave.

The ocean swishes gracefully around you, luring you into a false sense of security.

Something made a quick movement, making the soothing sound of the ebb and flow change.

It hits you sharp in the gut, making your stomach vomit out its contents. You feel worse than before, the smack triggering an awful headache, paired with the pressure already compacting your body into what feels like a contortionist's act.

An odd, pulsating pair of red lights approach again. You grab your knife in a panic and stab blindly at the thing that attacked. The lights quickly turn sideways and disappear out of your line of vision.

Without thinking, you reach for the switch on the broken headlamp. It somehow turns on, and a wave of relief passes over you like the ocean all around. You still feel sick to your stomach, and feeling a bit traumatized, you grab your communications radio, press the comm button, and speak hoarsely into the microphone.

"Arædis zero-five-five? Yes this is diver Beta-Twelve. Take me up." A silence follows. Then a crackling voice, not your mission leader's says;

"I'm sorry. You are being incompetent."

What? you think, greatly confused and horrified. How have I been incompetent?

"W-What do you mean?" you ask as calmly as possible.

More silence.

A sudden click echoes in the water, and your head turns wildly-- a metal spear slices through your back, the pain immediately taking over. The pointed end gorily pokes out of your stomach, blood drifting gently from the wound in contrast to the epic pain that is happening.

The radio in your hand still springs back to life. A distorted voice, more different before, comes on.

"Target terminated."

You don't flinch at all to the voice, and you feel your life force float away into oblivion.

END