Chapter 7

The sounds of war filled Scarlegs ears as she burst through the mangrove entrance, claws unsheathed and pelt pricked, taking in the sight of the battle ahead of her. Rainclan cats were locked in battle with countless Thornclan warriors, the stench of blood heavy in the air as teeth flashed under the moonlight. She recognized Stormspirit first, locked in a fierce fight with two smaller Thornclan cats, easily overpowering them both. Many of the Thornclan cats were rogues, small and inexperienced, but the camp was overflowing with how many there were; if they weren't careful, they could lose this fight.

      Scarlegs saw Berryface, the eldest queen and Maskclaw's mother, being held down by a stronger Thornclan cat at the entrance to the nursery; this warrior was battle-scarred and blood thirsty, a cat with Thornclan blood. Exploding out of her shock, Scarlegs took off with a shrill battle cry, tumbling into the larger warrior with all her strength. They flew into the dirt off of Berryface, the enemy under her letting out a hoarse oof, his surprise giving Scarlegs a chance to sink her teeth deeply into his shoulder. He let out a harsh shriek, thrashing and scratching her to get away, but she held on tight as his blood dripped down her chin. She sliced down his stomach before letting go, sending him darting out of camp with his tail between his legs.

      "Are you alright?", Scarlegs yowled at Berryface, who was struggling to her paws. The tortoiseshell queen nodded, eyes still glazed with fury and fear.

      "Yes," she called, "but Leopardeye is in labor. We can't let any warriors get into the nursery!"

      Scarlegs felt the shock run through her like icy fire. Leopardeye, in labor? It was so soon!

     "Does Maskclaw know?"

      "I can't leave to get him," Berryface growled, "and he should focus on the fight. We need Webear; Opal can only help so much, and i'm not leaving this spot!"

      Scarlegs didn't want to leave her closest friend in the nursery during this battle, but she knew she had no choice. She took off back into the fray, searching wildly for Webear; when they arrived at camp, she had immediately broken off through the thick mangrove guarding towards her den. Did she make it?

      Her eyes fell on Maskclaw, fighting against a stronger she-cat. He had her head pinned to the dirt under one paw while he scratched and bit, leaving her howling in pain. The two were wrestling back and forth, and for a moment, Scarlegs considered having him rush to the nursery; however, he would do no good worrying over Leopardeye now. What Leopardeye needed was a medicine cat, and quickly. She turned away towards Webear's den, ready to rush in, only to be thrown to the ground by a strong force on her back. She tumbled on the ground, attempting to get a grip, as strong teeth bit deeply into a fore-leg. She let out a loud hiss, using her back legs to scratch into the belly of the cat above her, spraying blood down onto herself. The move worked, kicking the cat off of her for a moment, giving her a chance to spring up and face her attacker. He was the smaller Thornclan apprentice from her first gathering, with Woodpaw; his soft calico coat was now matted and red with blood, his eyes wild with fear.

      "Quickpaw," she growled, flexing her claws. "You and your clan will not win this fight!"

      "I know," he yowled back, "but I will prove I'm worthy of being a warrior!"

      Scarlegs was take aback by his words, but shook it off as he leaped toward her again, claws outstretched for her face. Swerving to the side to avoid a deadly hit, she swung her own claws along his flank, hitting a spot under his fore-leg. She wasted no time, reaching again with her jaws, gripping his throat tightly as he fell. Quickpaw yowled, feeling her teeth close tightly with the ability to kill, gasping for air. She continued biting deeply enough to leave some good scars, then let go, letting him thrash on the ground in an attempt to regain his breath. He was small, she thought, but not much younger than herself; he surely should've completed his training by now. Was Pebblestar so concerned with his rogues that he was neglecting his apprentice's training?