Chapter 4

Crouching at the edge of the slope overlooking Sky-rocks, the Rainclan patrol waited for a signal from their leader before padding down into the clearing. The full moon shone brightly above, soft grey clouds avoiding its glow as they slowly made their way across Silverpelt above. Scarleg looked around, noticing only Mistclan had arrived, recognizing the dark form of Crowstar speaking with his deputy, Sheepfur, at the foot of the stones where the leaders stood. Snowstar gave the signal, racing down the rocky slope to avoid the small pool in the center of the clearing, Scarleg following swiftly. The Rainclan elders immediately broke off to greet the other elders, warm and welcoming, and Scarleg took a deep breath; this was her first gathering as a warrior.

Cricketpaw and Finchpaw raced off from under her legs, admiring the mystical place, immediately finding a few smaller apprentices from Mistclan. Scarleg noticed that Bushpaw and Dovepaw weren't among them; perhaps they had been named warriors, as well? Were they here tonight? She wanted nothing less than to break the painful news to the two of them that Woodpaw had joined Starclan. He seemed to really enjoy their company at the last gathering they attended together.
Unsure of who to greet first, she noticed with a jolt Sheepfur padding towards her from his previous spot near the great stones. He flicked an ear, bowing his head towards her, and she followed suit, trying to disguise her surprise.

"Greetings, Scarleg. I heard you were named a warrior! Congratulations," he mewed, his curly pelt shining softly under the moonlight. "Were the other apprentices that traveled with you named warriors as well?"

Scarleg cringed at hearing her own name be spoken to her through the jaws of a cat from another clan. It reminded her that the darkness she has tried to run from all her life still follows her no matter what, stretching out into the forest all around her and beyond. She blinked at Sheepfur, remembering their encounter on her journey to the Stone-hollow, when they were cornered by a Mistclan patrol that Sheepfur was leading. The deputy was more defensive then, and she felt surprised by his newfound respect towards her now.

"Thank you, Sheepfur. And yes; Sparkwhisker, Maskclaw, and Leopardeye are all warriors now as well."

"Well, Rainclan is quite lucky to have such strong warriors among their ranks," he nodded, "may Starclan guide your path." Scarleg smiled, bowing her head. The thought of Woodpaw invaded her mind again, remembering that he should have been among them that night, earning their warrior names. She tried to hide the pain building in her chest as best she could.
Stormspirit came padding up to them, nodding respectfully towards the deputy, who did the same. She let out a sigh of relief at the sight of her previous mentor, his friendly demeanor always comforting to her. She felt intimated alone in the presence of such a respected warrior like Sheepfur.

"Ah, Sheepfur! I'm pleased to hear about Hailfleck recently joining the nursery. Is she doing well?" Stormspirit waved his tail, smiling.

"Very," Sheepfur purred. "Pineflight, our medicine cat, says that she should be delivering our kits any day now." He twitched an ear, a glint shining in his pale eyes. "Is Nightbreeze here with you tonight?"

Stormspirit blinked in surprise, seeming a bit embarrassed. Scarleg let out a mrrow of laughter at her previous mentor; his affections towards Nightbreeze were apparently so obvious that they've spread beyond their own clan. What a fur-ball, she thought, knowing that it was only a matter of time until Nightbreeze would have to join the nursery as well, carrying Stormspirit's kits no doubt.

The scent of Mapleclan drew Scarlegs' attention away from the two warriors friendly conversation, turning her head to see the rippling pelts of the cats padding down into the clearing like tumbling leaves. They swiftly avoided the pool, immediately breaking off the join the crowd. She noticed the familiar form of Hawkheart immediately, her pale yellow eyes glinting with the stars above. Her gaze locked with Scarleg, mumbling some words to her clan mates around her, before waving her tail for Scarleg to meet her behind a large stone near the back of the clearing. Scarleg blinked, mystified, bowing her head in respect towards the two senior warriors.