Chapter 9

"Could you quit all that yowling?" Toadface growled, a grumpy grey lump in his patch of moss. The warriors den was still dark, the light of dawn not yet reaching through the branches. Scarlegs was panting heavily, gazing around with glazed eyes, realizing with a shock that she was in the den, safe. The horrors of her nightmare were gone.
      Many of the warriors in the den were casting grumpy glances her way, Nightbreeze even covering her ears with her paws. She felt a soft nudge in her shoulder, looking to see Sparkwhisker pressed close to her side. His eyes were heavy with exhaustion, but he was gazing sweetly as usual, seeming worried.

      "Another nightmare?" he mewed, only loud enough for her to hear.

      "I'm sorry. I didn't wake you, did I?"

      "I've been awake," he spoke, "you were making quite the scene in your sleep."

      Scarlegs glanced around the den, seeing the other warriors already fast asleep. There were a few empty nests near the back; probably the dawn patrol out already. After that attack, I'm sure we'll be on guard more than usual.

      "Can we talk?" Scarlegs whispered, "I don't think my dream was just a nightmare. I... I saw my father."

      Sparkwhisker blinked, gazing out into the camp outside. It was still and dark, and no cat was stirring. "Sure. Why don't we go for some early hunting? The fresh-kill pile is looking a bit pitiful after yesterday."

      Scarlegs nodded, standing to follow Sparkwhisker quietly out of the den, careful not to step on Patchnose's tail near the entrance. She had moved back to the warriors den, but her wounds were still visible, raw and painful. She twitched violently in her sleep; I'm not the only cat with nightmares. 

      The two padded swiftly out of the mangrove tunnel, matching each other step-for-step. They climbed through the dense territory, taking a left along the great lake towards the training hollow and the river. The cicadas sang loudly around them, and for a moment, Scarlegs let herself drown in the cool mist, the dew under her paws. She glanced at Sparkwhisker, who's strong muscles rippled with every pulse, curling her tail in relief. It was mornings like this that made her feel like an apprentice again, and with a glint of amusement, Scarlegs reminded herself that she was still only a young warrior. All the recent events made her feel like an elder.

      Scarlegs slowed her pace, unsure if she was ready to yet return back to the river; while it ran softly now, the memories of Woodpaw's frail form disappearing under the hungry waves flashed clearly in her mind. She took a sharp right, signaling to Sparkwhisker with a mew to follow; she was headed into the more wooded area of their territory, near the ravine. The pair slowed their pace, stopping next to a fallen log. Scarlegs shook moisture out of her pelt as Sparkwhisker bounded to her side, taking a seat on the leaf-covered ground. The forest fell silent around them, alive with only the sound of the wind blowing through the trees. 

      "So, tell me whats going on," Sparkwhisker mewed, scratching behind his ear casually. Scarlegs felt more anxious, however, worry beginning to rise up her stomach once again. She took a reluctant seat, shuffling her paws into the soft dirt.

      "My... My father has been visiting me in my dreams for a while now," her voice came as merely a whisper, "I've only told Leopardeye. Usually he appears quickly, muttering prophecies I don't understand. The dreams always start out calm and comforting, but end in chaos; once he disappears, everything becomes dangerous, terrifying." The words were spilling out now, and her ears felt hot under Sparkwhisker's watchful gaze. He made no comments or gave any sense of discomfort, only nodding slowly.