Chapter 336: The Eighth

"The land...? What's happening?"

I definitely told him about it before, but Itsuki raises his voice.
But even if he did know, there was no way he could remain silent.
The Time Icon in our vision reverts to the normal hourglass... Zeltburg's hourglass, but now's not the time to think about that.

"Quite spacing out! Right now... we have to concentrate on the monsters the wave left behind. What do you think would happen if monsters of that level were let loose on the populace!?" (Naofumi)
"Y-yes!" (Itsuki)

Including Itsuki, everybody was thinking about it.
It was... the expanse of unknown land stretching out before us.
Because the wave had died down, no new monsters were spawning, but it left quite a severe mark behind.

"Rebuild the formation, and kill as many monsters as you can! Keep the casualties to a minimum! Understand!?" (Naofumi)

My voice snaps everyone back to reality, and they nod.
Glass runs off towards the unknown land, and begins helping sweep up the monsters.

A few hours passed.
We finally killed every last monster from the wave.

"What is happening?" (Itsuki)

Itsuki comes, and poses the question to me.

"I talked a bit about it, didn't I? Looking at what was on the other side of the crack, it's quite clear, isn't it?" (Naofumi)
"But still..." (Itsuki)
"I want to confirm it too. Gaelion." (Naofumi)
"Kyua!" (Gaelion)

Small mode Gaelion lets me hop aboard, and he changes to his giant form.
Taniko... isn't here.
Gaelion unfolds his wings, and begins lifting himself into the air.
The ground below us gets smaller, and smaller, and the clouds grow in size.

I concentrate on the changed earth below.
From the Shield, I bring out a map of the country, and survey the land I can see.
From here, I can't do a thorough investigation... at the very least, by looking down from above, I can see the new expanse of land.

"Fumu... the worst outcome didn't come about, but it came ridiculously close. We have to prepare ourselves." (Gaelion)

Gaelion seems to have a grasp of the situation.

"If I were to compare it to a cup, it's already got cracks running down the middle... just how long is it before the water bursts out?" (Gaelion)
"I don't know. It's not like we don't have emergency measures, but..." (Naofumi)

What should we do?
If I didn't hold Tact back, the situation would become even worse, so I wasn't able to prioritize one ofer the other.
I may be looking in hindsight here, but it's good that I didn't treat Glass as a complete enemy back when I first met her.
Well... it's not certain that she's our ally, and even if she's an enemy, it'll just be an extension of the wave.

"I decided to save the world. I'll just do what I can." (Naofumi)
"That's quite some wishful thinking you've got there. But I'd like to believe the same." (Gaelion)

After our conversation ended, we decended back down to the ground.

"..."

With the Wave's monsters gone, we approach Glass, and her comrades; a group that looked like a form of army.
This is quite a critical situation... isn't it?
I can't let down my guard.
Or course. These people were our enemies up until now.

"First, I'd like to create some space for a discussion. Would that be alright with you?" (Glass)
"Understood. There are a few things I'd like to ask you as well." (Naofumi)

Me and Trash act as representatives to stand before Glass.
I mean, with the King of Wisdom on our side, I think the conversation should head somewhere for the better.