Too scared

It was early evening and Jac was still doing paperwork. Fletch had taken Emma round all the wards trick or treat-ing and knocked on the door to return her.
"One mini Jacula returned safe and sound"
She smiled "Thanks Fletch. What do you say Emma?"
"Thank you Uncle Fletch"
"Emma we've been through this it's just Fletch, not Uncle Fletch "
Emma scowled " Thanks Fletch" in a sarcastic tone to match her mother's. He grinned.
"Mummy I want to go and see Frieda, she is the queen of Halloween. She dresses scary all year round. Pleeese"
Jac allowed a smile pass her lips "okay but quickly, I need to take you home soon"
Emma skipped off to share her trick or treating stash with Frieda.
Jac and Fletch stood in her office. It was a little awkward. Eventually Fletch cleared his throat
"Jac what were you about to say when we were interrupted. You said my head tells me I don't need anyone, but my heart.....?"
"Please Fletch just leave it" she said gently. She reached up and wiped some of Emma's face paint from his cheek. He grabbed her hand
"Please Jac. I want to know"
She looked into his eyes which usually sparkling now looked sad
"Fletch.."
"Please"
She sighed intensely aware that he was still holding her hand
"My head tells me I don't need anyone, my heart tells me I need you" she met his eyes, as a single tear rolled down her cheek
"But you're letting your head rule your heart?"
She nodded sadly
"I wish I could change your mind Jac. I wish I could get you to follow your heart. Take a chance on me"
"I can't take the chance of hurting you" she pulled her hand out of his
Instinctively he pulled her into a hug
"Oh Jac you're so broken. I wish you'd let me try to fix you"
She smiled sadly against his chest but said nothing. Loving the feeling of his arms around her but knowing she was too scared to give him what he wanted.