Chapter 13

I hurriedly grab my things and alight from my car. I'm already 10 minutes late from my supposed 8 am breakfast with Tris. Admittedly, I kinda woke up late and it kinda slipped my mind that I'm supposed to meet her this morning. Not that I don't care about our breakfast, don't judge me. I was just too drained out from work yesterday so I overslept. On the contrary, I'm actually thrilled to see her today.

As I walk inside the cafe, I instantly spot her occupying a table for two near the shelves. She looks way too good for someone sporting a casual look only. My semi formal getup didn't do justice.

She waved at me when our eyes met, signalling to come closer. So I stride towards our table, careful not to look too much excited about it. I can't help but notice the wide smile plastered on her face.

"Hey...good morning," she cheerfully greeted me.

I occupied the seat across her and greeted her back. "Good morning!"

"Sorry ah. Kanina ka pa ba?" I asked her.

"No, no. It's fine. Napaaga lang talaga ako. Ayoko naman ma-late sa breakfast natin, syempre it's my treat," she replied, chuckling at her last retort.

"Hindi ka naman excited, ano?"

I saw her blushed for a second. Nabigla ko ata.

"I'm kidding!" I playfully slapped her hand on top of the table. "Nahiya ka naman agad."

"Hindi naman. Tinatantya ko lang kung nagbibiro ka ba o hindi," she said, all the while, she was scratching her eyebrow - a mannerism of hers that I have noticed whenever she's beeing sheepish.

"Defensive ah? I wasn't informed na defense attorney pala kaharap ko ngayon," I joked one more time and we burst out laughing.

"Now you know, Atty. Cordova." She handed to me the menu. "Anyway, order ka na. Baka nagugutom ka na."

I took the menu from her. "Not really. Hindi naman ako madaling magutom sa umaga."

My eyes scanned through the menu. There's just so many choices that I like but I settled with brioche french toast and of course coffee. I called for a waiter and placed my order. Tris on the other hand ordered for wildflour breakfast.

When the waiter left, I noticed that Tris is pretty much uncomfortable in her seat so I asked her of she's okay.

"Nahihiya kasi ako. I might be taking so much of your time. I know you're a busy person," she told me.

"Ano ka ba, Tris. Ako nga itong nag aya sayo for breakfast. Besides, hindi ka naman abala. Relax ka lang!" I assured her.

There she goes again with her eyebrow scratching. Ang cute, napakamahiyain.

"Basta ibalato mo na sa akin itong breakfast."

"Okay, fine. If that's gonna put you at ease."

She just smiled widely at me.

"By the way, gusto mong pag-usapan yung kagabi?" I asked as I changed the topic.

I can see that my question made her feel uncomfortable again. "Uhh...ano...uhm...wag na lang siguro muna. Masyadong pang maaaga, baka masira agad yung mood."

"Alright. If that's what you want," sagot ko na lang, although curiosity is eating me up.

"Sorry ah. Ang drama ko kagabi. Naistorbo pa tuloy kita," she apologized.

My head jerked in frantic disagreement. I mean, yeah, she did call in the most unlikely moment but I didn't get annoyed. In fact, I'm glad she did.