Chapter 5

Bon's POV ~ Roof

I can't believe it. Rin killed himself, probably because of me. I had no idea he was capable of something like this.

I observe the scene around me. Rin's blazer and shoes lay neatly on the rooftop next to his backpack. The chest filled with weapons is diminished, causing my heart to feel heavy.

Then I notice the ominous notebook placed neatly on the ground. I open the front cover to see a blank, tear-and-blood-stained page, giving me an uneasy feeling.

If he wrote a note, it would be in here, I just know it.

I flip through a few pages, seeing with my own two eyes how upset Rin was. I eventually reach the last page of text, and reading the first few words, I become certain that this is his suicide note.

"Uh, guys, you need to see this." I stare, dumbfounded, at the words written on the page.

The rest of the class turns to see me holding the dreaded notebook in my shaking hands.

"Bon, is that what I think it is?" Okumura-sensei cries. I nod sadly.

I hold out the book for him to take and several envelopes tumble to the ground. The rest of the group is surprised and dumbfounded at the time and care Rin put into something as trivial as suicide.

Shiemi's P.O.V.

I stare at the individually wrapped envelopes on the floor of the roof. Kneeling down, I gently collect each one and solemnly hand them out to each member of the class. After distributing all the letters, I notice that Rin also wrote one for his Sidhé cat Kuro.

I stumble downstairs in a search for the familiar, finally finding the poor cat sitting at the bottom of the staircase leading to the roof.

"Kuro, I have a letter for you from Rin. Are you able to read English?" I ask gently, so as not to scare him. He rubs his face against my hand and nods.

The Sidhé cat meows and paws gently at the envelope in an attempt to open it. I remove the letter from the envelope and place it on the ground, turning to walk back to the roof.