dos

capítulo dos [02]

......

"and how are you today, dean?" mrs. richards asked in a warm tone. dean cuddled into the bean bag in the corner of her office: it was his favorite place to sit because it was so comfy. "i think i'm fine," he muttered. "did anyone bother you this morning?" dean nodded.

"it's just the usual stuff, i guess." mrs. richards pursed her lips into a fine line a gave a thought to what dean was saying to her. "so, you're telling me you're used to being treated this way?" he nodded. 

mrs. richards knew about dean's family situation at home, but the boy made her promise not to utter a word to anyone else. "why don't you tell me about what's happening at home," she said, leaning forward in her chair. 

"well, it's actually the same thing every day and night. dad's always drinking, and he lost his job yesterday. mum's no better though. she still yells and smokes, which is causing my little sister, cathy, remember her? well it's causing cathy some difficulty with breathing. we had to take her to the hospital a few days ago," he told her.

the woman wanted to sympathize with him, but he always said he didn't want to be pitied upon, and that he thought that sympathy was the same as pity to him. she kept her thoughts to herself because he was going through so much already, and she didn't want to upset him. 

"there's the bell. i don't want to be late for physics. i'll see you later, bye!" he said and dashed out of the room. maybe he felt awkward being in there, that's what mrs. richards thought. out of all the students she sees everyday, deean backster intrigued her the most.

...

"s-sorry dad!" dean yelled as he dodged his father's leather belt. once again, it was a dinner disaster. "look what you did, you good for nothing brat!" he yelled as he striked his son once more. the leather against his soft skin burned like fire. it was just a little accident, but since he was a drunk man, even a blink of the eye could annoy him. 

"stop it!" his mother intervened. she stepped in front of the belt, and it hit her right across her back. she cried out in pain and pushed me away. "take your sister and go upstairs now!" dean followed her order and took his little sister and went up to his room. they both hid in the closet, holding unto each other for dear life. 

there were screams and cries coming from downstairs, and all dean could do was sing his little sister a lullaby until she fell asleep in his arms.

......