chapter ten

He couldn't give himself the pill, not when he could barely carry his own weight or loft an arm from his bed, someone else had to feed it to him. It didn't relieve his symptoms. It didn't take away the sharp pain at the bottom of his spine or the numb sensation that was taking over his left leg starting with his thigh. It didn't take away the fever that was spreading through his system, creating blobs of salt water on the top of his forehead or beneath his arms as he laid on the couch. It didn't even help the flashes of memory as their intimate night, the one they spent acting as lovers, mocked him.

But as he shut his eyes again, it helped him keep from dreaming of a future where they were together, kids running around the house, and a calendar full of sporting events, birthdays, check ups, and other family-related things. Kept him of dreaming of those glistening eyes, golden in the sun yet ocean green under the rays all at once. It left him a peaceful slumber, something he never knew he needed so badly in his life. But most importantly, the pill kept the roots and vines from wrapping around his lungs and crushing them while they laid in their most fragile state of being. It prevented the thorns from piercing his heart as it was finally given a rest from it overworked state. It kept him alive, but now he was out.

There was no more medication for him to take to protect himself from dying any night now. There was no more numbed feelings and even more emotionless kissing.

He was scared, and even if his dreams didn't revolve around the man he was so madly in love with, they still held a floral scent and left him trapped in leafy stems and rounded petals.