o29

C H A P T E R
T W E N T Y - N I N E

A film of mechanical screens hanging on thin air sprawled across the room we entered in. They were almost translucent, if it weren't for the texts written on it. Their controls were like that of a game console's. But its storage wasn't just any game, it's a valid piece of information of anyone registered in the city. Including me, the bosses, basically everyone.

Ten stood in front on one of the screens, an unoccoupied one. Then, calculatingly, he stepped into a neon-powered platform, adding a foot higher to his height.

"Is this what you're going to show me? Your data?" I stepped near the machine in such a way that I was right beside Ten.

Phase 11 can let you be able to access your information, reviewing activities or accomplishments that you might want to rewind back to. Of course, only the publicized ones. And of course, only you yourself could be able to access your own data, unless you grant that permission to someone.

Ten showed a fox-like smile, his poise both demeaning and mischievous at the same time. Then he stretched his neck, slightly, to the right side.

"Wanted No. 001," he softly spoke. "Nakamoto Yuta."

My eyes turned wide. I uncrossed my arms in front of my chest, placing them on both sides of my body.

"Wanted No. 002," he began tapping the screen with his fingers, the machine producing tiny ticking sounds. "Chittaphon," a smirk appeared on his face, "Leechaiyapornkul."

I raised a question unknowingly. "What are you muttering?"

"The greatest fears of this city," was all he said, before resuming his recitation - whatever that was - "Wanted No. 000, Dong," his eyes flickered, "Dong Sooji."

"What do you mean by the greatest fear?" I almost sounded so desperate.

"There's a chase. A hunt. We're both a part of it. You. Me. Him."

I furrowed my brows, stepping forward on the platform and moving away the arm, Ten's left arm, that was blocking my view from the screen.

"What the-"

On the screen laid texts written in Ten's tongue language. I had studied them when I was younger, but it took time for me to examine the foreign words. But I was so sure that my name, Yuta's name, or Ten's name were not written anywhere.

The man beside me placed a gentle pat on my shoulder. "Sooji. Curious, paranoid but still very perfect Sooji." He let out a small chuckle. "We're not wanted. I was just joking around."

I could punch him in the gut, right in this moment. But the ball of revenge inside my chest shrunk like crumpled paper lit on top of a candlelight.

"My punches are more painful when I am wearing gloves, do you know?" I said, not for threat but for fun. Or maybe a bit of both.

"Is it enough to break my arm?" he retorded back, his focus swallowed up by the screen again.

"I don't know. Would you like to try?"

He shuddered, resuming his business with the machine. "No. I'll pass."

A while later, after more taps on the screen and more hissing of curses, his previously neon-lit face was replaced by a shine of what seemed like orange.

"Got it!" he beamed loudly. Someone from the strangers ssshh-ed him. Ten muttered a quite apology, before his gaze darted to me.

His expression was unreadable. He said, "Come and take a look."