Plastic People

"I didn't know you were in plastics."

The dark-skinned guy smiles at you and shrugs, as if he hadn't a care in the world at the moment. Your profession was peds, not because you loved children, which you did, but because it was much more rewarding to see children heal and parents to cry as their kids got better. You were almost certain Jackson was in peds as well, but you didn't bother to confirm your assumption you carelessly made about him.

But out of all the ones he could have chosen. Plastics? The one which gave the most money seemed fake to you, and there was no way you would ever consider it. Plastics didn't seem like a career Jackson Avery would choose.

"Why plastics? I mean, is that why your cheekbones are so sharp?" You ask, leading him to a burn victim's room, who you found to be a very kind boy you admired for being so brave.

"That's what Sloan wants me to say, gets more patients apparently. But cheekbones aren't my specialty. I do more skin grafts and hairline raises." He grinned, flashing his white teeth at you, which causes you to immediately grin. He had an amazing smile, which sticks in your mind everywhere you go.

"Well, this boy here will need a whole load of skin grafts and he is extremely brave. I really hope you're as good as you brag Avery." You tell him, then swing open the door where there is a boy around eleven, with burns all over his face and arms.

He smiles at you and his brown eyes light up immediately. "(Y/N)!"

"Hello, Dr. (Y/L/N)." Says the boy's mother, who is clutching his hand in worry.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Duncans, how's Jake doing?" You ask, examining Jake's face for any issues. You check his pulse and his throat to make sure that it didn't swell up from the smoke he had been through previously.

"He's doing good, but I'm not too sure. Is he?"

You tuck your flashlight back into your lab coat and nod. "He's doing great, this is Dr. Avery, one of our best Plastic surgeons, he will be doing your skin grafts." You turn to Jackson who grins at the boy. "This is Jake Duncans, he received these burns from rescuing his dog from a fire he was in. Third-degree burns across the scalp, hands, and cheeks, excessive amounts of swelling in the lungs. Tough kid."

You smile at Jake who grins between you and frowns at Jackson. "Wait, so I need Plastic Surgery? I'm not that ugly am I? I mean, I'm ok with it and all if that means I get those cheekbones."

Jackson raises his eyebrows and smirks, then looks at Jake. "No, we're taking skin from your stomach and then seeing it on to your face and hands. I won't touch your cheekbones."

"Why not?" He asked, and you suppress a laugh.

Jackson leaned in towards the boy. "Trust me, having nice cheekbones doesn't always come your way.

---

Jake's surgery was a huge success, mostly because of Jackson. You decided to congratulate him but he didn't seem to be so happy about it himself.

"Hey, nice job out there." You tell him, leaned by the counter as he filled out a couple of forms. He seemed distressed and you read the forms, realizing that they are applications for peds. "Oh, why change now?"

"Because of everyone who judges me because of my looks and my parentage." He snapped, taking you by surprise. His green eyes were filled with fury as he yelled at you and you felt tears well up to your eyes. Before you let them spill out you rested your hand on his elbow and softened your gaze.

"Stop. Jackson, shut up and think of all the people who would die to be you. I mean look at you, you have a famous grandfather who you could learn so much from, you have these amazing green eyes, and not to mention your cheekbones."

"See that's what I mean!" He cried, looking at you with a disgusted expression on her face. "That's all you see too!'

"I see a guy who is extremely intelligent, kind, and good at plastics. I never said you were only your appearance, I just see plastics as a specialty more for "plastic-like" people-" Before you finished, he cut you off.

"Plastic people?" You're saying I'm a barbie doll? Intelligent, pretty and Plastic?" Jackson stepped closer towards you and shook his head at you. You stood your stance and looked him sternly in the eye.

"No, I'm saying I was wrong about plastics. I think you're an amazing surgeon and you should stay in plastics because that's what you're good at. You're pretty, you're smart, but plastic people don't treat people like Jake the way you do." You said to him. Jackson's green eyes softened and his lips spread into a small smirk.

You decide that you're no longer needed in his presence in case you burst into tears at any moment. It doesn't feel good because you know you were being slightly rude towards him, a trait you did anything in your power to try to prevent or fix. Surprisingly, he follows you towards your next patient.

"So (Y/L/N), you think I'm pretty, have great cheekbones, and amazing green eyes?" He breathes into your neck as you walk, dangerously close towards you. You look back and stop in your tracks, wondering why he was so close all of a sudden.

"Yes? I think you're hot, I also think you have heard that twelve million times so me saying that to you shouldn't be a surprise to you." You turn back around and hold your head up high.

"So you admit, I'm good looking." He calls out, and you grin to yourself.

"Yes, I do admit, like I admit the last few times."

You feel his footsteps running towards you and he steps in front of you, gazing into your blue eyes. His smile deepens and you halt, feeling exposed as he just stares into you forever and ever.

Your heart flutters and he cups his hand around your jaw, bringing his lips onto yours. He surprised you, but you were single for a while now and his lips felt so right against yours. You kiss back slightly then pull away, the twisty feeling in your gut getting stronger and stronger when he grins at you, satisfied.

"Meet me a Joe's for a plastic drink?" His eyes glint mischievously.

"You know it, Plastic Jackson."