34) Bae

Irene was just as beautiful and intimidating as the rumors warned. Chaeyoung just wished they could have found her sooner. From Donggyeong, it took them a 3-day trip on land and 2 days via boat to reach the tiny island of Usan, where the courtesan's main residence was located.

And it was by no means a peaceful or enjoyable journey. On the one hand, there was the ongoing issue of food and water, two commodities that seemed almost impossible to find for a camp of ten with the current state of the country. To further exacerbate the situation, there were only two tents which resulted in cramped, uncomfortable sleeping quarters. Not to mention some of the group members simply did not get along. Seokjin and Jennie, Jisoo and Taeyong, Jennie and Chaeyoung, Yoongi and pretty much everyone else – to name a few.

By far the most tense environment of all, however, existed between the two arguable leaders of the pack – Chaeyoung and Taehyung. Because ever since their brief moment of weakness in Donggyeong, they had barely spoken two words to each other, both adamantly focusing on the task at hand. Hoseok's letter had been a wake-up call as it not only mentioned the location of the woman who currently possessed all of Goryeo's finest weaponry, but also outlined in detail every single corrupt action Mingyu had taken since the beginning of his reign as king.

It had become blatantly clear that they could no longer prioritize the matters of their hearts over the matters of the country.

Thus, given the stressful week, Chaeyoung could not be happier to finally find Irene's brothel, 'Black Velvet'.

As someone who had led a sheltered life with a history of ethical upbringing, she had never stepped foot inside such a place and was not sure what to expect. The outside of the building had a palace-like aura with high ceilings, polished dark wood framings, and elegant lanterns all around. If it were not for the loud music, intoxicating scent of roses intermingling with liquor and boisterous laughs surrounding the area, Chaeyoung would not have even realized it was a brothel.

There was an intrigue emitting from the Black Velvet brothel, like an enchantment that mesmerized one into entering the premises and never leaving. It was the temptation of acting upon forbidden desires. A place where your wildest dreams could become a reality.

Whether it was the scent of the roses or the pull of the unknown, Chaeyoung could not deny the immediate curiosity she had developed for the place.

"How about the ladies stay outside?" Yoongi suggested as he began to approach the finely sculpted brothel doors.

"Why, so you guys can freely ogle at the women and have fun without us?" Jennie quirked a brow before firmly pushing past him to open the door herself, "I don't think so."

The doors flew open to reveal a well-lit main corridor, furnished with red and black patterned rugs with matching cushions. The room was almost completely filled with drunk men of all ages and backgrounds, with at least one barely clothed woman eagerly accompanying each one. Chaeyoung gasped and immediately averted her eyes as they passed by a couple heavily making out right in front of the entrance. But then her eyes landed on an old man who had just begun to remove his clothing, and she wondered if she should just keep her eyes closed for the duration of their time there.

If she was having such a difficult time adjusting, she could only imagine what poor Namjoon, the monk, was experiencing behind her.

A mild throbbing sensation was beginning to brew at the base of her skull from collective body heat of everyone in the room. She was beginning to feel dizzy from the stench of sweat and alcohol which the rose incense in each corner of the room was working very hard to mask. It was like everyone in the room was in a daze, drinking and laughing to their hearts' content with no worry in the world.