55) Endless Love

They reached the royal palace the next day, with Chaeyoung, Jaehyun and Jimin leading the way through the cheerful citizens. When Chaeyoung saw the children throw flower petals in front of their path, she couldn't help but smile. And when she saw people she recognized, like the little boy they had saved from death in Dongygeong (Mansae), some civilians from Daegu, and a group of Irene's concubines, her smile grew even wider. It was like the whole country had united to pay respect to the people who fought for them when they could not fight for themselves.

The first thing Chaeyoung made sure to do was arrange a funeral for all the warriors and loved ones they had lost during the war. Despite the royal secretary's protests, she insisted on paying tribute to these brave souls. Eventually, he gave in, but on the condition that Chaeyoung and Jaehyun wed that same night. She would have pointed out how wrong it was to hold a funeral and a wedding on the same day if she thought they cared even a little. But, unfortunately, they did not. So, all she could do was accept her tragic fate and agree.

Everyone, from nobles to peasants to children, gathered in front of the palace gates, each of them dressed in black and with a paper lantern held in their hands. Chaeyoung stood on top of the castle gates, overlooking the crowd and preparing to deliver her speech, with Jaehyun, Jimin, Yoongi, Jisoo, Lisa, Seokjin, Irene, Daesung, and Namjoon standing beside her in solidarity.

Taehyung was nowhere to be found. A part of her feared he had already left for Daegu and her heart squeezed painfully at the thought. Although she understood why he would not want to be present on her wedding day, she still could not shake the agony that filled her at the thought of never seeing him again.

But now, as she stood in front of the citizens that now looked to her for guidance, she cleared her throat and her mind.

"We are gathered here today to honour those who have fought bravely to protect this country. To remember their sacrifice and to ensure that their efforts are never forgotten. As you light your lanterns, I would like you to picture your loved one who has passed, and as you release the lantern into the sky, I want you to allow the wind to carry their souls to a better place. A place of peace and tranquility. Let them become one with the stars that overlook us each dark night and let us never forget the light they shined in our lives. May we reunite with them when the time comes."

Amidst a sea of sniffles and prayers, she lit her lantern and released it into the sky, watching it float away freely with a bittersweet smile. One-by-one, the indigo sky became speckled with each bright lantern, intermingling with the stars and engulfing them in a warm haze of white light.

Slowly, the crowd began to disperse, families comforting each other and children attempting to cheer up their siblings. And Chaeyoung glanced down at the crowd again, hoping she would find a familiar pair of dark eyes amongst them. But she didn't see him. She didn't know if she ever would again.

Having successfully completed their mission, Jisoo had already given Yoongi and Taehyung their promised rewards for protecting Chaeyoung. Yoongi was 100 gold pieces richer, and Taehyung had earned the title of Southern Commander as soon as they had entered the capital. He had fulfilled his duties, thus there was really no reason for him to stay in the capital. It would be selfish of Chaeyoung to assume he would.

"The wedding is in an hour," Jaehyun interrupted her thoughts matter-of-factly, "we should prepare ourselves."

For the hundredth time that day, Chaeyoung felt dread stirring in the pit of her stomach as she realized how near she was to promising the rest of her future away. To a man she didn't love. To a man that wasn't Taehyung.

Eventually though, her sense of duty caused her to release a deep sigh and follow Jaehyun down towards the palace doors where, yet again, she had become a prisoner in her own home.