Give Me Envy, Give Me Malice, Give Me a Break

Another long avant garde chapter coming atcha boi!

September 27th, 2005

"I've had it." Brendon shouted, walking out of the dressing room in a huff. "Hey, Brendon, wait! Let's talk about this." Ryan yelled after him.

"NO. I'm fucking done and there's nothing you can do to talk me out of it!"

Flashback

April 12, 2005

"What do you think?" Ryan said as he let the last chord of the new song ring out. Everyone had gathered in the rental recording studio to discuss the status of the band.  I was smiling uncontrollably right then. This song Ryan just played was about how the sun and the moon fell in love. The description of moon resembled so much of Ryan's mannerisms, and the sun...it was like he put me into an 1800's French dress and invited him to chat over a cup of tea. Such class, so graceful, very sweet. "I loved it." I said, complimenting his efforts. Jon smirked, meaning he liked it. Spencer was showing signs of uncertainty. Brendon showed a look of dissatisfaction. Oh right, I forgot this wasn't a written session.

Around this time, Brendon was pushing Ryan to construct an EP album to advertise in the club, with the manager's permission of course. They were having trouble figuring out which songs would gel well with each other. However, Ryan was actually acting more laid back with the music career, seeing that the club was job gave a fulfilling enough rush and the second semester of college courses were going well. He was becoming satisfied with this life as it played out.

Brendon, on the other hand, couldn't have been more opposite. He did NOT want to go to college. Just like Ryan, he was relied on music to get though hard times. But since the first day I met Brendon, I recalled he wanted to go beyond in proving his family wrong with their actions and make it big as a singer. HE was trying to take more initiative in making the band soar. He felt more a reason for it, now that Ryan had enough to complete his aspirations.

Brendon massaged his temples with a frown, "We're supposed to be creating a list of already prominent songs for an EP, not another song to add to it." He stated, arms crossed. Spencer and Jon did nothing, probably feeling indifferent about adding the song or putting it on the list. I agreed that it wouldn't go on the EP because, well, it was a song from Pretty. Odd. and I wasn't too keen about it being on the angsty record.

Ryan looked at Brendon grimly. "Hey, it just came to me after listening to I Am the Walrus. No one should disrupt a creative process. You even said that when we wrote Northern Downpour."

I gave him a look of complete confusion. "Wait, no one can understand that shit unless they're on..." I stopped before he gave a sheepish shrug. "Oh my gosh, Ryan. You wrote songs while smoking weed and listening to The Beetles again?? What the hell have we done to you? Better yet, how were you thinking clear enough to write something that distinct?" I exclaimed. Even though he was whispering, I saw Jon lean over to Spencer and say:

"John will do anything for Yoko."

They both chuckled and waited for Ryan's response, in which he started talking about how weed opened up the gates of his inner chakra or some weird shit he told me a million times. I noticed that Brendon walked out, irritated. So I walked out after him.

"Long day, friend?" I asked, giving him a pat on the shoulder.

Brendon looked over and frowned. "You aren't coming to tell me 'oh, man up and put the song on the track,' are you?"

I shook my head. "On your birthday? Hell no...I'm just curious if you secretly wanted the that sun 'n moon song to be about you and not me." I said jokingly, giving a playful punch on the shoulder. A small smile grew on his face.