Unusual One

10:00pm, on a school night. I stare at the ceiling in frustration and groan. The noises downstairs only seem to be getting louder and louder by the minute.

I am going to kill Adam, I thought to myself. All I wanted was to get some extra sleep for my midterm tomorrow but my brother just couldn't let that happen. No he had to have a party the one night our parents weren't home.

I thought maybe since they were out for a work thing I could get more sleep from not having to hear them scream at each other. But of course Adam had to replace that with band practice.

I threw back the covers of my bed and speed walked to my bedroom door. There was no way Adam was getting away with this.

I made my way down the stairs quickly and with every step the noise got louder. I could smell beer and body odor. I crinkled my nose and rolled my eyes. Drinking again.

When I finally made it to the noise, what I saw didn't surprise me in the least. All of them were holding a bottle in one hand. Adam was at his drums in the corner of the room, drum sticks in one hand, a bottle of beer in the other. His friend Mike who was only 20, also had a bottle of beer in his hands. There were probably 6 boys total in the basement, including some strange boy I had never seen before.

"Adam Nathaniel Yauch!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

Adam stopped hitting his drums with one hand and looked over at me. The rest of the boys didn't even bother looking over at me, let alone stop what they were doing. Except for the one strange boy in the corner who I noticed did not have a beer in his hand.

I motioned Adam to come to me and he did without any hesitation.

"What do you want?" He asked me with a bit of a tone. Nothing I wasn't expecting.

"I have a mid term tomorrow and I'm trying to get some sleep" I hissed in frustration. Adam laughed.

"Come on, lighten up! Have a beer!" I laughed in disbelief.

"Adam, you do realize I am 18 years old right?" But he only rolled his eyes at my response.

"Like I said... loosen up" one of his friends had just went to get me a beer and was now shoving it my way. Instead of accepting it, I quickly made my way back up the stairs.

"Amber! Get your ass back down here!" I heard Adam call after me but I didn't care. I stormed into my room and threw myself onto my bed. I screamed into my pillow in rage.

"You alright?" I heard someone ask from the doorway. I quickly turned my head in that direction. It was dark so I couldn't see his face. I got up and walked over to the doorway to turn on the light. I got up to less than an arms length away from him but he made no move.

I flipped on the light switch only to find the unfamiliar boy from the basement.

He was wearing a gray shirt, dark jeans, a maroon jacket, and a red baseball cap. He had dark brown eyes and he was smiling slightly. It was a cute smile.

"What does it look like?" I asked him sarcastically, finally answering his question. He just looked at the floor and laughed quietly.

"What's your name?" He asked. I frowned.

"That's what I should be asking you" he smiled again and a wave of excited nausea swept through my stomach.

"Ok I'm Adam Horovitz aka Ad-Rock, now that's cleared up. Who are you?"

"Amber" I said feeling nervous laughing a bit at his nickname.

"Amber... I love it" he said and pushed his way past me. He took a look around my room then sat down on my bed. "So Amber, what do you want to do?"

I gave him a questioning look and he laughed. "You're cute"

I felt my cheeks get warm and quickly turned away so he wouldn't see. When I felt my cheeks return to normal I turned back to him.

"Won't my brother notice your gone?"

He shrugged, "nah he's wasted and he's got other company"

"Yeah but if he finds you up here with me, your screwed" I laughed a little bit.

"It'll be worth it if I'm hanging out with you"

I blushed. This guy just met me and he thinks hanging out with me is worth an ass kicking from my brother? I mean, Adam is no one to mess around with. I laughed at him sarcastically but waved it off.

I hopped onto my bed and looked at my ceiling.

"How did you meet my brother?" Adam chuckled.

"Uuuh ok well we met in school. We found each other through music and we've been best friends since then"

"And when was then?" I asked. I couldn't help it, I was curious and confused as to why I have never seen this Ad-Rock fella around before.

"About 6 years ago" I was shocked to hear this since my brother had his friends over every weekend and this was the first time I've seen him.

Adam lied down beside me and joined me in staring at the ceiling. We just lied there in silence for a while. Both lost on our own train of thought. It was weird that he was in my room while his friends were partying downstairs. Why come up here and hang out with the lame younger sister?

The strangest part of the whole strange situation was how I got nervous when he was close to me. I just met him and I can't even be one foot away from him without being a nervous wreck.

"You know what I just thought of?" Adam said suddenly still looking up at the ceiling.

"What?" I looked over at him.

"If I come up with the perfect ninja routine, your brother won't be able to put a hand on me" he said finally looking over at me.

I laughed, "Adam Horovitz you are an unusual one"