Different Me

As Ad-Rock drove his beat up old truck, i couldn't help but look at him. He looked content and comfortable. I felt content and comfortable. How could that be possible?

He was a stranger and he just picked me up at school in the middle of the day. I was skipping school right now! That's not like me at all!

This guy did things to me. He made me a whole different person. And I decided that I like who I am when I'm with him.

"We have been in the car for 20 minutes. When are we going to get there?" I ask impatiently. Ad-Rock chuckles.

"We'll get there when we get there" he says. I laugh but I'm not amused.

I look out the window and notice the passing New York City buildings. The graffiti on the walls, I never thought of it as vandalism but as art. People were just painting their ideas and deepest thoughts and feelings onto the buildings of this lovely city. Of course the building does belong to someone else but to me that didn't matter. It shouldn't be illegal.

Ad-Rock pulled over and got out of the car. For a second I just sat there a little shocked. He tapped on the window causing me to jump.

"Let's go" I barely heard him say through the glass. I quickly got out of the car and ran to catch up with him. I didn't say anything because I didn't want to ruin the perfect silence that surrounded us. It was unusual, magical almost.

Ad-Rock turned into an alley, "you going to kill me or something?" He didn't answer he just stopped and grabbed my hand. I froze and I felt the butterflies swarming in my stomach. He led me further into the alley and then we stopped in front of this huge brick wall that was plastered in graffiti.

I heard myself gasp and then I smiled, "What is it?" I ask in amazement.

The wall said in big letters, 'Beastie Boys' with designs all around it. It was amazing and so beautiful. Adam turned to me with a shocked look on his face. The smile that was once on his face was replaced with a frown.

"What?" I ask feeling a bit confused.

"You don't know who the Beastie Boys are?" I didn't understand why he was getting so upset. I didn't know why I should know who they were.

"No, who are they?" I ask. Ad-Rock let go of my hand and walked slowly up to the wall and placed his hand on the artwork.

"It's our band, Amber. Mike D, MC Adam Yauch, and Ad-Rock. It's our band." My mouth fell open in shock. How did I not know that my own brother was in a band. I knew Mike played drums but I didn't know that he was in a band with my brother.

"You really don't know your brother" Ad-Rock said in shock. I guess I didn't.

"No, I guess not. But Adam and I never have time to talk. He's always out with I'm guessing you and Mike. With his fucking band that I had no idea about. Adam never talks to me because he never wants to be home. He doesn't want to be around our stupid fucking parents who hate each other and are constantly screaming at each other. He's not the only one though. He just never bothers to ask me if I want to go with him because I'm just his baby sister. He doesn't want his stupid baby sister talking to his friends. Then when he gets home, he's always drunk as hell, falling over and shit. So I guess that might be the reason why I never talk to my brother. Why I never get to see him or talk to him about anything. Why I know absolutely nothing about him." I fell to my knees. I was stunned at what I just said. I didn't even know those feelings were there until I said them out loud. I was so shocked that I didn't even realize I was crying until Ad-Rock fell on his knees right in front of me and pulled me into an embrace. He rubbed the back of my head with his hand as I cried into his neck. I didn't even think about how embarrassing this was, I just kept crying. I could tell I'd needed this cry for a long time and I didn't even know.

"I thought everything was good. I thought life was good. I thought my only problem was my parents but Adam and I never talk and it's not even my fault" I choked out angrily between sobs. I didn't make any sense but I didn't care.

"Sshhh" Ad-Rock said as he placed a kiss on my temple.

"Thank you" I said and hugged him tighter. My crying finally slowed down and now my face was just buried in his neck.

He pulled my face out of his neck and kissed me lightly on the forehead.

"Anytime you need to cry, just call me" he said and smiled. I nodded. We got up and he put his arm around my shoulders as we made our way back to his truck.

When we were back in his truck, I noticed how soaking wet his shirt was where I put my head when I was crying.
(Ugh so embarrassing)

"Sorry about your shirt" I said and blushed from the embarrassment. I wiped some wetness from my eyes.

At first he looked confused and then he remembered, "oh! Don't worry about that. You can soak my shirt whenever you feel"

I smiled, "thanks, I'll keep that in mind"

He looked over at me for only a second and smiled. When I looked him in the eyes, I could just tell there was something there that wasn't there before. Something good.

I noticed the watch that he wore on his wrist. It was a cheap watch but it looked nice on him.
(What time is it?)
I gasped at the realization that Adam was supposed to pick me up from school at 3 O'clock. Ad-Rock looked over at me.

"What is it?" He asked.

"What time is it?" He glanced down at his watch.

"2:50" I widened my eyes in surprise and nerve.

"Adams picking me up at the school at 3! Can you get me back to school by 3?"

"Yeah but I'm going to have to step on it" as he said that, I felt the truck increase in speed. I smiled and so did he. We were going against the "system".

We made it to the school by 2:57. I quickly grabbed my skateboard and hopped out of the truck.

"Thanks again Adam" I said with a smile.

"Don't mention it" He responded with a smile before I shut the door and ran off to find my brother.