Chapter Four

It had been four moons after WindClan ambushed ThunderClan and it was time for Dawnkit's apprentice ceremony.

Goldenheart groomed her kit happily. Dawnkit giggled. "Mom I'm clean as I could ever get!" Her mother purred and nudged her forward. "It's time for your ceremony." She said.

Dawnkit stumbled forward and tried to walk gracefully. Daggerkit and Snakekit were still too young to become apprentices. Foxstar stepped forward from his den.

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey gather underneath HighRock for a clan meeting!" He yowled. Cats came out from their dens and made a circle around Dawnkit.

Foxstar gazed down at her. "Dawnkit, you have reached the age of six moons and it is time for you to be apprenticed. Your mentor will be Dustfeather." He turned to the gray and white cat. "Dustfeather, I know you will pass on your bravery and loyalty." The tom nodded. Foxstar turned his attention back to Dawnkit.

"Until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Dawnpaw." He finished. The clan cheered the apprentice's new name.

"Dawnpaw! Dawnpaw! Dawnpaw!"

She stood proud and gazed back at her mother. Goldenheart sat with pride that her kit was an apprentice.

After the ceremony Dustfeather trotted over to his new apprentice. "We can get started by patrolling the borders." He said excitedly. Dawnpaw nodded and followed him outside the camp.

She stumbled a little over all the leaves and twigs. Dustfeather chuckled. "You'll get used to it someday." With that they made their way to the ShadowClan border.

"Be careful near here, their have been snake notices." He said, sniffing the air.

After a tour of the territory they headed back to camp. Dawnpaw trotted to her new den. The apprentices welcomed her kindly. "Choose any nest, it doesn't matter."Frogpaw said.

Dawnpaw nodded and chose a soft moss nest near the middle of the den. When the sun rose Dustfeather took a peek inside the apprentice den.

"Dawnpaw wake up! We're going on a dawn patrol." He meowed, turning and trotting to the entrance with Birdwhisker, Fernpaw, and Redfur.

Dawnpaw sleepily opened her eyes and stretched. She ran out of the den and up to the patrol.

"We're heading to the ShadowClan border, Mousefur said the prey was lush there." Birdwhisker said. The patrol left camp and made the short trek to the ShadowClan border.

Dawnpaw made sure to keep an eye out for any prey. Dustfeather came up behind her and made the apprentice jump.

"Sorry to scare you. I'm going to teach you how to catch prey." He said. Dawnpaw nodded and did as he said.

The patrol came back with a mouse, two squirrels and a bird. Goldenheart came from her resting place and purred.

"That was a good hunt, I see?" She purred, nuzzling Dawnpaw. The apprentice purred and sat down to share a meal with her mother.