Family

Mike stared at the ground where Jemma had vanished, the dust settling back on the cold concrete, as he clenched his fists. He was sick of fighting, of murder, of death and heart break. All of that anger and contained rage began to bubble up inside of him. Mike looked up at the stranger through his eyebrows like a hawk stalking his prey, and snarled. The stranger laughed.

“You humans, you’re very close. You care so much. What is that?”

“You wanna know what that is? It’s being called part of a family,” Mike said standing proudly.

“And part of a team,” Coulson put in from behind them and slowly walked up to Mike. He felt uneasy as the atmosphere seemed heavy with antagonism. He looked around him.

“Where’s Jemma?”

“The little fragile being, well, where-ever she went she must have fallen far, ending up somewhere dark and cold. I wouldn’t know of her whereabouts, I don’t really care.”

“You’re lying!” Coulson shouted pointing his finger.

“It’s the truth, I have no notion of where those gateways lead,” the stranger replied casually, though his face remained dark and grim. Coulson stepped forward, his fists clenched and his eyes fiery. Mike pulled out his arm and stopped the agent.

“You listen here,” Coulson began, “You hurt anyone else and I swear I’ll blow you to oblivion, personally.” The stranger didn’t take the threat lightly and moved forward.

“I do things because I have to,” the stranger explained moving forward, as Mike tried to pull Coulson back.

“What, attempt to murder an innocent woman and leave her to die helpless and alone, bleeding to death? Was that part of your plan?” Coulson‘s words hung in the air for what seemed like ages. The stranger stopped, a mixture of sadness and anger swirling inside his extraordinary mind.

“You think I wanted that to happen? She didn’t give me answers, I was angry and upset, I have no one left to help me find –what – I – want.” The tall man half shouted half growled, the only thing softening his presence were the tears that welled up in his eyes. Coulson felt surprised and confused. Why was he crying? How was he crying? They were mad, a psychopathic and dangerous being, it just didn’t add up.

“What do you want, that makes you kill anything and anyone to find it?” Coulson asked impatiently.

“Family.” There was silence in the dark hallway which lay deep underground, which only few knew existed. The three men were lost in thought. It was a strange moment for Coulson, standing there facing a potential enemy with an enemy turned ally. He just wanted to get out of there with his team, alive. Now it was time to gamble.

“Ok, I’ll make you a deal,” he said, “You get us out of here, we’ll help you find you family.”

Mike grabbed his arm and stared, bewildered down at the agent.

“”Are you sure that’s a wise decision, sir?” he whispered hoarsely.

“It’s a decision I’m willing to take. It’s our only choice,” Coulson whispered back, “Look at him, a lonely man searching for his family, doing everything he can to find them. I understand his motive. As long as we’re careful and watch our backs, it shouldn’t be a problem. Although I’m still pissed off at what he’s done to May.” Mike sighed and turned to face the stranger and watched Coulson walked slowly over.

“What do you say?” he asked and held out his hand. The tall man was confused as he looked down at Coulson’s out stretched hand. It was as if he was showing him something invisible.

“You shake it,” Coulson told him, slightly amused.

“I know,” the man replied slowly and took the hand in his own large hand.

“Coulson!” Mike warned as a wormhole appeared suddenly down the hall. They all turned to face it, a cold draft pouring out of its dark void.

“Will you stop doing that?” Coulson complained frowning at the stranger. The man looked down at him also frowning.

“You think I’m doing that?” the men felt dread in their guts.

“Well if you aren’t and we’re not, who is?”