Reality Check

I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams."

- Jonas Salk

Naira was walking towards her room her so called place where she lived, she saw everything in her room is scattered. All her clothes were laying mercilessly on the floor some of them were even torn and few been been painted in the dirt. Her eyes drifted to the direction from where her almirah was getting vacated. She walked towards the room and was horrified to see one of the girl of the orphanage was vacating her almirah. She immediately ran towards her stopping her to do ," Tanya... what are you doing.."

Tanya shrugged her hand and said," Can't you see I making space for my clothes.."

Naira this time in authoritative tone," This is mine.. You can take any other.."

Tanya didn't listen to her and thrown her all clothes and said, " OOhh please.. My clothes are costly and need space okay.. Moreover I am marrying to this rich person so I'll be out from here soon.. Okay..!!"

Naira took a deep breath and said," Marrying an old for money is not right.."

Tanya snapped her out," Listen you are no one... to say.. Have started earning does not mean to say anything to me okay.. Even I doubt.. What if instead of work.. You go for something.. You know what I mean..!!".

Naira knew arguing with her is of no use, she made a disgustful face and went from there. She took her clothes and placed them properly in a drawer, arranging them to wear tomorrow and laid down. Normally Tanya's word could have effected any other person but Naita knew how she is and moreover she has stopped thinking about rather anything except all she focused on completing this project. It is Kartik's dream project. Thinking about him a small smile crept on her face and today's incident came infront of her eyes. She still could sense his touch around her body, that little thin fabric was not helping rather was burning her skin with his touch. Due to all day tiredness and Kartik's though she fell asleep.

Kartik was sitting with his nephews playing with them. Even though he tried hard to ignore it, but working with Naira had silently teached him the importance of his family. He had always loved them but somewhere at some level he had taken them for granted as all do who have such a loving family.

But now he realised what it meant to have his mother cook the food at those special times, or Surekha serving them all with patience and a heart glowing with love. Or having his dad direct little jokes at him and Akhilesh.

'Kartik.. What are you thinking...?''

Surekha came and sat beside him smiling at his lost expression.

The kids didn't budge from their uncle's lap so Kartik just shifted letting them enjoy chocolates while he had some questions for Surekha.

''Bhabhi you said Naira lived in an orphanage. But she must have had some family at one time?''

Kartik saw the sadness appear in Surekha eyes before she answered, '' Mr Negi told me, Naira belonged to a middle class happy family. She and her two sisters were travelling with their parents when an accident occurred. All four died leaving Naira to be the survivor. I don't think she managed to survive for long once she came to the orphanage.''

Kartik: ''But she must have had some relatives?''

Surekha's eyes harden , something that Kartik had seen happen at very few times,'' She had an uncle and an aunt from her father's side. But they were living abroad and felt it inconvenient for themselves to send for Naira. So they chose the easy way out. Sent her to orphanage and vowed to send money every month. (A sigh escaped her lips) I dont say they were completely wrong but sending Naira to orphanage. She was very small. These past 10 years took away every ounce of life she ever had. I have met her once in the course of getting her the job. It's hard to call her alive at times. Her eyes.. I never saw such eyes. They have... They have no dreams Kartik.. They have nothing to look forward to.. She breaths because she isn't a coward to take her life, but she long gave up on life itself.''